Newbie with Hermann's tortoise

Emmykitty111

Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hello!
My Name Is Emily and I live in Oregon, US. I have had my Hermann's for about a month now and I'm LOVING him! I do have questions though. I've done some research but not a ton. He's approximately 5 years old and was handled rough previously. He's missing all but two claws on his back right leg, and on his front and back left legs he has only stubs :( I was infuriated at the owners and after doing a good examination of him, I have taken him home as my own little one. He is super sweet but is obviously a little extra frightened. Just wondering if anyone would like to help me out with some basics!
I know proper feeding, lighting, and enclosures.
I am looking to learn a few things specific to him though!
He's very faded for his age and breed and I'm not sure why.
Does anyone know how that could be?

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Hi in the Hermanns section there is a great care sheet. I have heard that hand feeding helps with bonding. This is a great forum . We love pictures. I'm so glad you are helping him. The poor thing.

Emmykitty111

USA
Thanks so much! It is a little extra challenging for him to get around but he is super sweet!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Poor thing - thank goodness you have him Emmykitty. My tort has a back foot missing but he manages well. Sounds like yours has really had a tough time so its no wonder he's frightened and faded. If you follow all advise offered here re feeding, soaking, heat etc then you should be fine. I hope all goes well for you both.

To add a photo when you post a reply click 'upload a file' box and your pictures folders will open; choose your photo and click 'open' and it will upload. You can choose thumbnail or full size too Another way is to copy and paste your photo into your message.

Last edited:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and welcome to the forum Emily and Hermann!!! Does he have a name?
My Tidgy was a rescue tortoise with some damage, so I know what it's like.
Well done for saving him and I'm sure he's in safe hands now.
He's faded and a bit battered from his previous life.
Look forward to a good future together.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Hello and welcome to the forum Emily and Hermann!!! Does he have a name?
My Tidgy was a rescue tortoise with some damage, so I know what it's like.
Well done for saving him and I'm sure he's in safe hands now.
He's faded and a bit battered from his previous life.
Look forward to a good future together.
His name is Carl.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hello and welcome! Glad you're enjoying your new tortoise :) I'm sure he's enjoying his new home as well.

When I first received my tortoise she was missing 2 nails and the vet told me it was due to bad care in the past. Luckily they grew back in about a year, I was told sometimes they just don't. Not sure if this is the case with yours or not, it's hard to tell without pictures or knowing his history.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome! ! !

Emmykitty111

USA
1st picture is back left. 2nd picture is front left. 3rd is back right, the one with only 2 claws. His whole foot is off of that front one. Poor guy

1428107869282.jpg 1428107883374.jpg 1428107907358.jpg 1428107932794.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Emily welcome to the TFO from AZ. It looks like a great Hermann other then the damage . But Hermanns are that way . Mine if it don't move and its green it's food .

Emmykitty111

USA
@Tidgy's Dad from what I understand they had him in with several other breeds of tortoises and a couple of bearded dragons...such an awful set up. He was the only one left in there by the time I got him. He must have had the most damage and was not selling because of it. Really quite horrible

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
@Tidgy's Dad from what I understand they had him in with several other breeds of tortoises and a couple of bearded dragons...such an awful set up. He was the only one left in there by the time I got him. He must have had the most damage and was not selling because of it. Really quite horrible
Well thank you so much for giving him a loving home.
He is still adorable.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What a sad start he has had but I'm sure he is in good hands now.
Mine manages without his rear left foot - he does have a limp but his leg seems to be growing in proportion to the others so don't think it will get worse.
Hopefully the claws will grow back. They are tough little things

Last edited: