Status
Not open for further replies.

MistyChee'

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yuma, AZ
Hello Everyone!
I am new to Tortoise Forum!
This has been my go to site for so many questions, so I decided to join.
I have a 1 ½ year old female Red foot (Little Foot) with chronic shell rot problems. Her tank is never wet, but in order to keep her at the prober humidity her hide is moist with moss. She spends most of her time in her hide. The shell rot is never anything major, I handle her every day so I notice it before it ever gets to anything major. When I notice the shell rot starting I clean it with a baby’s toothbrush and surgical scrub solution. Then I add a triple antibiotic ointment and let her dry before I allow her back into her home. It heals up completely but she always seems to “break out” with another one somewhere else. I have tried many different substrates and three types of moss with her thinking that was the cause. I refuse to keep her tank completely dry due to her “needs”. Most of it is completely dry with a UVA/UVB heat bulb above a few flat rocks so she can bask and her belly can dry. She is currently on cedar but I have used aspen, eco earth, clean dirt, and many many other things. The cedar just seems to be the best choice for me because its not so dusty and doesn’t get tracked into her water constantly. She is allowed to go outside for a walk at least a hour every afternoon once it cools off a bit. ( The temp here has been in the 100’s here daily )
As for food, she LOVES Rep-Cal Tortoise food, but she also gets a “tossed salad” daily. About once a week I add a calcium powder to the leaves. She has a cuddle bone in her tank at all times. She gets a different fruit every other day.
Let me also add we have moved to Yuma AZ. It is super dry here all year long. We were in Southern Louisiana for the first year of her life and the air there is always humid so I never had any shell problems because I never had to do much to ADD humidity. I feel like im not doing all I can for her and I am open to any and all suggestions and please let me know if I am doing anything wrong. If I cant get the shell rot under control I am going to have to find her a place to live in Louisiana with family until my husband is done with the military and we can move home. I really love my girl and would hate to do this, but at the moment I feel that may be what is best for HER.

Attachments

• IMG_1174.JPG
    IMG_1174.JPG
    830.4 KB · Views: 34

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi MistyChee':

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Did you mean "cedar?" or did you mean to say cypress mulch...because the picture looks like cypress.

What would you like us to call you?

MistyChee'

5 Year Member
Yuma, AZ
I forgot to add:
Little foot does have some pyramiding but it is looking so much better as she grows thank goodness! I found her in a box in a Petsmart parking lot. Her pyramiding was already started at that point. I guess her previous owner got tired of her and just left her. Poor thing! If you can not care for your pet there are people out there who would love to! Please dont just leave them to die!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum..

You may need to use some athletes foot cream instead of the triple antibotic for the shell rot.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Shell rot: Minor shell rot that is mostly due to wet conditions is a chronic problem for red-footed tortoises. Mostly just cleaning the spot and letting it dry is enough, but sometimes you need to get more aggressive.
- Only use surgical scrub (providone iodine) once or twice as it kills healthy new cells.
- Most rots have a bacterial component, so a good anti-bacterial agent is needed. Unfortunately, 'triple antibiotics' are mostly petroleum jelly with as little medication as they can get away with. Better options are silver sulfadiazine ointment or 2% mupirocin ointment.

Trying to maintain humidity in warm, dry places is tough. You can try some of the ideas here- https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/the-work-shop/humidity-1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D. Hope things work out for you. There is no reason you can't keep your tort with you in AZ., unless there are reasons other then the dry temps.
Maybe try some dry coconut coir over the damp cypress in the hide. A think enough layer may keep her dry, while still holding humidity. Another option is to make her hide dry, but put her whole hide inside a little larger hide that you make damp. So her dry hide is surrounded by a damp humid hide. Just a couple ideas.
Good luck.

MistyChee'

5 Year Member
Yuma, AZ
Thank you for all the welcomes, input and suggestions! Its all very appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.