Turbosmummy

Hi guys we got a tortoise from a friend of a friend who rescued it from a neighbour a few years ago. We don't know how old it is or what kind of tortoise it is by the look of things it's a girl horsefeild and the girl thinks it might be 6/7 she was not very helpful to be honest, we have a 40" table and tried to stick to its original diet of rocket leaves dried flowers cucumber carrot and cabbage leaves.we are new to this tortoise she seems happy. Should I take her to a vet to be checked over any info would be helpful xxImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1483542433.152005.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1483542455.313678.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to TFO

I too think you have a Russian (Horsfield). We need a good clear photo of the underside including the tail to sex a tortoise.

You don't have a baby, but we can't guess at age as they all grow at different rates.

Have you read our care sheets for Russians? They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Your enclosure is too small for a Russian of this size. They're very active and need a minimum of 4'x8' (1.5x2.2 metres)

Your enclosure is far too dry. Russians need a humid environment in which they can dig. You should change the substrate to something more earthy like coco coir which you can mix with water to make it damp.

Those reptile bowls aren't really suitable. They're hard for a tortoise to use. A terracotta plant saucer makes a great water dish and a piece of flat rock or slate (or even the wrong side of a bathroom tile) makes a good food plate that abrades the beak and keeps it in good shape.

What lights do you have and what are the 4 important temperatures? (Warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum)

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Definitely a Russian - looks captive breed to me, so telling you the age is impossible without someone knowing the hatch date (they grow at variable rates depending on food, temperature, and other care).

A vet isn't needed, unless you see anything symptomatic.

If you flip it over and we can see the tail clearly, we should be able to tell you sex.

I agree that a larger enclosure is in order. These species like to roam quite a bit and exercise is important - it'll do well if you can set up a large outdoor enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Turbosmummy

We will be creating an outdoor enclosure soon we do let him out everyday for a wonder but I live in Liverpool england and it is very cold here. We only got her a week ago and we bought this table from pets at home it is the biggest they sell. What do I need for an outdoor enclosure e.g. Heating etc?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
I would keep her inside for this winter, especially if you're in Northern England.
Try extending the enclosure or building a second level.

Turbosmummy

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1483562758.348435.jpg could we use this to keep her in do you think for indoors I am worrying now there is not enough space for her she was in a much smaller table than this when I got her, but don't think the owner really cared to be honest and it is for my children really so don't want to get rid of her, in the summer we will put her in an enclosure outside

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
View attachment 196337 could we use this to keep her in do you think for indoors I am worrying now there is not enough space for her she was in a much smaller table than this when I got her, but don't think the owner really cared to be honest and it is for my children really so don't want to get rid of her, in the summer we will put her in an enclosure outside
Not suitable in my opinion: Impossible to heat and light properly. The ramps are too steep and there's nothing to stop the tortoise falling off the edge of the ramps.

A large old bookcase with the shelves knocked out laid on its back and lined with pond liner to protect it from damp substrate makes a good tortoise table.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome ! ! !

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
http://pin.it/bgJUXcU

Here's a nice one I found. I love the bookshelf enclosures. I go to the thrift stores and get the tallest one I can find. They run about $20. Then line it with heavy duty shower liners add dirt and use something to cover it to keep it warm and humid. Like plastic greenhouses.