Trumpie

Location (City and/or State)
Kingsteignton
236E525E-3F46-4C6E-A992-CFDB94E6A605.jpeg hi I’m lyn,
I have a hermann tortoise named trumpie he is 16months old. I was just wondering if you can put two Hermanns together, I have read mixed advice on this .

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!

No, tortoises should never be kept in pairs. They are solitary, territorial creatures that only see other tortoises as mates, combatants, or both. Even seeing another tortoise brings them immense stress.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
View attachment 250478 hi I’m lyn,
I have a hermann tortoise named trumpie he is 16months old. I was just wondering if you can put two Hermanns together, I have read mixed advice on this .

No, you should not put two (of any species and or sex) tortoises together. They should be separated. Usually, the bigger one (sometime's it's the smaller one) will bully the smaller one until he or she starves to death from not being able to fend for itself in an enclosed space. Tortoises will bite, flip over, and headbutt their roommate until they submit to the other.

Groups of tortoises will require: a vast amount of space, multiple feeding areas, multiple watering areas, and multiple hide boxes to decrease the odds of bullying from taking place.