Clemy

Location (City and/or State)
Portsmouth, UK
Hi we are new here and have a juvenile Horsefeild tortoise, look forward to gaining some good advice and help to keep our little‘George’ happy and healthy 😄

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome to You and George.
Pic's of your enclosure and the heating and lighting equipment being used. Will let us know if you have things setup correctly.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
There is a lot of old and incorrect information still being passed around about tort care - especially in the UK but this is the most up to date caresheet you need to help your new tort thrive. Please read that carefully but ask as many questions as you like.

If you post some pics of his enclosure and the lamps you're using you'll get goof feedback to make sure he's as safe as possible. Pet shops tend to sell unsuitable and unsafe equipment for profit rather than tort welfare.

You'll also find www.thetortoisetable.org.uk very useful for finding good and safe tort food.

Clemy

Portsmouth, UK
We have got a 4ft vivarium, we have a 100w basking / heat lamp with piece of slate directly under heat lamp. We have an Arcadia 12% UVB strip light inside, I am going to be changing the substrate as soon as I can, George has a sunken terracotta bowl for water and slate for his food.
I’m sure there’s things people won’t agree with but any constructive comments and information to help me are greatly appreciated 👍

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome! Your setup looks great too me. Where is George?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
One thing that I’m sure many will notice is that substrate…. For some reason, UK pet stores push this substrate with perlite in……AND, torts go about and eat it…..which might lead to impaction. Soooo, look into a better substrate like medium orchid bark.

Clemy

Portsmouth, UK
Would anyone like to have a guess to the age of George, we were to buy the pet shop about a year, thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Would anyone like to have a guess to the age of George, we were to buy the pet shop about a year, thanks
It's very hard to say shat his age would be. By the pyramiding that has begun, it shows he was started wrong and that can play a role in their growth.
Be sure the humidity is 50-80% and that little disc gauge you are using is unreliable and placed too high. Gauges need to read at tort level.