Dkess84

Location (City and/or State)
Riverside CA
Hello, new to the forum, looks like a great place to start. Im looking to be a new Russian tortoise owner. Trying to research online but there is too much contradicting information and I stumbled across this forum which seems to have the best information.

I'm looking at purchasing a hatchling from ATC, any help would be appreciated. I am still in the research phase and I have not purchased any supplies yet. Thank you.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
It's very hard to start out! Good help here! Russians are very fun. But everyone starts out wrong. Don't feel too bad.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome. You found the right place for correct info and any help you need.
Best thing to do is read the caresheet. Then get everything you need and set the enclosure up and have it running for a week or two before you get your tort. This gives enough time to tweak everything before you bring him home.
Be sure to double check with us if you have any questions.
Remember that an adult Russian will need a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure. A hatchling about half that.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello, new to the forum, looks like a great place to start. Im looking to be a new Russian tortoise owner. Trying to research online but there is too much contradicting information and I stumbled across this forum which seems to have the best information.

I'm looking at purchasing a hatchling from ATC, any help would be appreciated. I am still in the research phase and I have not purchased any supplies yet. Thank you.
Welcome to the forum. People here are very knowledgeable and helpful. I have a Hermann - Russians are similar in many ways, but they are very good climbers, and great escapologists ,so be prepared to consider that, when setting up an enclosure, etc !
Best wishes
Angie

Dkess84

Riverside CA
What would be some safe plants to put in my enclosure? I was looking at succulents but not sure what would be safe.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Understand you want a hatchling, but also know there are also Russian adults out there on places like craigslist because people get bored of them when they aren't little and can fit in a fish tank