Status
Not open for further replies.

kelly83

5 Year Member
hi everyone, I have 2 new additions to my family this week Zippy and Daisy. I am new to looking after tortoises. I have added some pics too, zippy s the first and daisy is the second not sure on the sex lol but the kids choose the names may haha. :)

Attachments

• DSCF1100.JPG
    DSCF1100.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • DSCF1101.JPG
    DSCF1101.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 31

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) You have found the right place for any and all your tortoise care info you need.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Do they each get to rule their own separate kingdoms?

kelly83

5 Year Member
Tom said:
no they sand we could keep them together so we got a large indoor rabbit cage and we have a big sandpit we are going to use to make an outdoor pen, hope this is ok

theelectraco

5 Year Member
kelly83 said:
Tom said:
no they sand we could keep them together so we got a large indoor rabbit cage and we have a big sandpit we are going to use to make an outdoor pen, hope this is ok

Eventually they are going to need to be housed separately. Keep an eye on their behavior, if one is bullying the other then they need to be separated ASAP. Also, one may thrive while the other just....survives...so if one tort is less active and doesn't eat as much or seems stressed in the slightest, then they need to be housed separately. They are too young to sex at the moment. If they end up both being female they may be able to be housed together long term, but if they are both males they will not get along, and if they are male/female then the male will constantly harass the female trying to mate, usually a few (3+) females are needed to house a male with female happily and even then the male may need removed. Please correct me if I'm wrong Tom, as you are much more knowledgable on the topic.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No you spelled it out perfectly electraco. I would have just said separate them, they will be happier apart.

Kelly, sand is a very dangerous substrate. Many tortoises have died from accidentally or intentionally eating sand. It can block their intestinal tract. It can also be an eye and skin irritant.

A large outdoor enclosure is essential in my opinion, but I wouldn't put one on sand.

kelly83

5 Year Member
thanks ill keep an eye on them at the moment they both seem to eat well and are quiet active in the evenings, i didn't mean they would be on sand i just have a sand pit to use as a fence for them in the garden lol it don't have a bottom so i can plnat food ect in there, in their cage they have a mixture of bark, hay in their hide and coco coil stuff lol :)

beckyleotortoise

5 Year Member
kelly83 said:
hi everyone, I have 2 new additions to my family this week Zippy and Daisy. I am new to looking after tortoises. I have added some pics too, zippy s the first and daisy is the second not sure on the sex lol but the kids choose the names may haha. :)

Hi, I have just bought a tortoise just like these, what type of tortoise are they?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.