Status
Not open for further replies.

floridakat85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I'm new both to the forum and to tortoise ownership. Just wanted to post a pic of my new Russian Tortoise - Karloff (naturally) - and his habitat, get a general opinion of his initial setup and introduce us both to everyone. I bought Karloff at a pet store, and his shell appears to have taken some abuse at some point: it has several small white chips or scars dotting the caps of the points on his shell. They have no odor, aren't soft, so as far as I've read they aren't a concern. He's active and eating in the few hours since I've brought him home, both good signs I'd think. Right now he's in a simple mulch substrate, which will be supplemented with play sand and coconut coir when it arrives in the mail (woot eBay!) to give him something to really dig into. So anyway, any feedback on his initial setup or the white scarring on his shell would be great, but otherwise, hi! Looking forward to many years of tortoise ownership. Also, can anyone tell me how I can be sure if "he" really is a he, and about how old he is? His shell measures to about 4 inches. Thanks!

Attachments

• karloff2.jpg
    karloff2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 36

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Katie:

876391gy0xybmsn7.gif

to the forum!!

Someone here would be glad to sex Karloff for you, but we need to see his tail.

Don't worry about the scuffs on his carapace. Wild caught Russian tortoises are handled pretty roughly, and all stacked up on each other, and the get all scratched up and some even get shell rot. If it doesn't smell, its old and will be ok.

Yvonne

floridakat85

5 Year Member
Florida
Pretty sure he is in fact male, his tail is long enough to touch his back leg, whereas the female showed a short stubby tail. Glad too, Karloffa would be a very strange name!

emysemys said:
Hi Katie:

876391gy0xybmsn7.gif

to the forum!!

Someone here would be glad to sex Karloff for you, but we need to see his tail.

Don't worry about the scuffs on his carapace. Wild caught Russian tortoises are handled pretty roughly, and all stacked up on each other, and the get all scratched up and some even get shell rot. If it doesn't smell, its old and will be ok.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.