NEWBORN KEEPS FLIPPING OVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
hatched.jpgposing by quarter.jpgMy first egg hatched this morning at 9:29 am (Russian) :D I put the hatchling in a small plastic container with a wet paper towel on the bottom. The yolk sac is pretty much obsorbed. The problem I am having is the little hatching has already flipped 3 times onto its back (and it is only 10:00 a.m.) trying to get out of the container. I have to go to work at 2:00 p.m. today. My husband is home and can periodically check, however, he will not hover over the new hatching checking every few minutes like I have been doing. Does anybody have any suggestions on what I can do to prevent the flipping. I am going to be a nervous wreck at work. I had last Saturday and Sunday off from work, I sure wish he had hatched on my first day off :(

Last edited by a moderator:

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Probably scared and looking for somewhere to hide.

Someone with more experience will chime in soon.

Good luck.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I'd put him somewhere else. If he flips again, while you're gone, it would not be good.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree. A hatchling's instinct is to head for cover so they don't get eaten. Can you give the hatchlings something to hide under?

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Eliminate the see through plastic container and put him in something with a hide included.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
wiccan_chicken said:
How is the baby doing now?

He is doing great. When he was still in the incubator I put several silk plant leaves in the container he was in and he stayed under them and stopped trying to climb up the sides which was causing him to flip over. I kept him in the incubator for a day until he had absorbed his yolk sac. As soon as I put him in his enclosure he walked around exploring. He seems very outgoing. He also started eating by the second day.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Carol S said:
When he was still in the incubator I put several silk plant leaves in the container he was in and he stayed under them and stopped trying to climb up the sides which was causing him to flip over.

This is great to know that this worked.

Thanks for the update!

Status
Not open for further replies.