Newcomer with old tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

John B

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dorset England
Hi
Another newcomer. I stumbled over the site whilst looking for advice for my Hermanns tortoise which we have had since 1970 when it wandered into our garden from the road. Nobody claimed it so it was popped into an avairy I had at the time. It has survived 42 years living in a garden in S. England and hibernating in a frost proof porch in the winter. This year it hibernated in early Oct, woke on 10th March but did not eat. Following the first ever visit to a vet in early April I started a sugar and water feed via an eye dropper coupled with tepid baths to improve hydration. Still no eating until mid May when the miserable weather here improved. Now eating everything in sight. Had no idea that it could survive 5 months hibernation followed by a 10 week fast. Tough old tortoise obviously. The name is Henrietta but vet told me he is male. Sorry but after 42 years he stays Henrietta. Just shows how critical ambient temperature is to activity. Vet reckons he/she is at least 50 years old
John B

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome :) Can I ask which county you live in?

Henrietta and Joe have a lot in common... starting in 1970!

Joe had his bad coming out of hibernation in the spring of 2011 and we're still sorting things out,although we're the right side of his problems now. He was unable to hibernate last winter because he failed to gain weight through the summer.

I think you are through the worst of your problems, but in case you aren't:

Your problem is that it just hasn't been warm enough for Henrietta to get going. it wasn't great last summer either, so Henrietta probably went into hibernation below par as well.

As a starter, make sure you weigh Henrietta every fortnight so that you keep a track on his weight. (Not more often, you'll panic every time he does a poo!)

Next, I recommend that you soak daily until he's active again. My soaking tips are here. Soaking is important for hydration and it is quite like that Henrietta is a little dehydrated. I use the family bath for Joe as he's just too big for a washing up bowl. Torts can absorb water through their skin, so soaking really helps. I recommend that you add Reptoboost to the water to help him.

You also need to sort out some warmth for Henrietta. A tort needs to bask in direct sunshine or under a lamp to digest food properly. With outdoor torts this is a problem when the weather is rubbish.

Joe HATES being indoors - last winter freaked him out. On days like today, when the weather is grey, I bring him indoors and put him under a basking lamp (35C directly under it) until he starts to stomp (It takes about 2 hours from cold) and then he goes straight back outside and he'll tuck into food immediately.

I'm in the process of ordering a dog kennel that I can put a lamp in outdoors so that Joe can bask outside and I don't have to keep dragging him in.

In your case, I'd bring Henrietta in to soak, pop him under the lamp to warm up and then put him outside.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi John:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I love reading stories from people who have had their tortoise for a very long time. Thank you. I'd also love to see pictures of Henrietta.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Welcome!!! It's so cool you have had her for so long!!! Can't wait to see pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.