Newcomer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatsCritters

5 Year Member
I'm getting a couple of Sulcata babies in the next month, and am trying to get set up for their arrival. I've owned turtles my whole life, and that's a long time, but have always wanted a tortoise or two. I'm reading up on the Sulcata, and getting a lot of mixed messages. Too much humidity, not enough humidity, supplements, no supplements, a variety of subtrates, but what is best? Don't even get me started on lights/heating, because I'm totally confused. I want to do whats best for my babies, is there any hard and fast rules in this info? Thanks for any advice.[/b][/size]

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Welcome to the forum. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Read Toms great threads below in my post. They will tell you the best way to raise a sully. The thread on leopards will apply too. Don't use any coil type bulbs, they damage eyes. The best substrates is coconut coir, cypress mulch or plain fertilizer and pesticide clean dirt. Water needs to be available 24/7 and they need to be soaked 20-30 minutes a day in warm water. The best advice I can give you is to still with the members advice from this forum. A lot of the info out there is wrong or out dated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi CatsCritters, and welcome to the Forum!

You get different views on tortoise-keeping because there isn't a one-size-fits-all way to take care of them. Whatever works for you and gives the tortoise what it needs to grow and be healthy...that's the correct way.

Tom has made a good start at learning how to grow a smooth sulcata with no pyramiding, so we more or less have followed his lead here on the Forum. You can read the links suggested up above, and go from there.

Where you live in the world has a lot to do with how you care for your tortoise too. Tom lives in the desert, so how he cares for his babies will differ from someone who lives, say, in Florida. But learn what your tortoises need and try to provide it.

Another thing to consider is that baby sulcatas probably will get along for a short while in pairs, but eventually you will have to separate them. Sometimes you have a bully that keeps the other one from growing. This may not happen when they're babies, but it may. You need to be prepared for making two habitats or finding another home for one of the tortoises.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Welcome to TFO! This is a great place :) I too surfaced the Internet to get info for babies sullies and got a lot of bad info. Thankfully, I found this forum before I caused any serious pyramiding or health problems with my babies :)

Life is good

MNcoldblood

5 Year Member
Minnesota
The only hard fast rule I know with sulcata tortoises is that they get huge make sure you have room for a 100 pound animal as they will get that big and fast.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. You're got some of Tom's threads on bow to care for sullies. Now, below is a thread by Tom that tells a story. If you have a dog, plan on getting a dog, or allow dogs to visit your home, then this thread is a MUST READ.

Status
Not open for further replies.