Newell advice Building indoor leopard enclosure for 4 adults and 3 younger ones:

TortsRcrazy

5 Year Member
1) where is the best place to get light and heat lamps?
2) do adults or subsidults need humid hide ?
3) how deep should the nesting area be ? Like how deep do they like the dig to lay eggs ?

Any other advice is appreciated , the size is 10 by 16

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I get the housings at Lowe's and the bulbs online. Lllreptile and tortoisesupply sell them.
Yes they do in my opinion.
My large female digs a hole deeper than a foot. My indoor nest area is 6X4 and 2 feet deep.

0917161721.jpg
0917161605.jpg 0917161604.jpg 0917161603.jpg 0917161602.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All my leopards laying holes have been 12 inches deep.
For lights, etc, I search online.
Yes they should have humidity

TortsRcrazy

5 Year Member
Thanks for your help, Jodie what substrate do you have that is 2 feet deep ? Must be expensive to keep re filling every time they pee ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1) where is the best place to get light and heat lamps?
2) do adults or subsidults need humid hide ?
3) how deep should the nesting area be ? Like how deep do they like the dig to lay eggs ?

Any other advice is appreciated , the size is 10 by 16

1. Heat lamps and fixtures at Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-300-Watt-Incandescent-Brooder-Clamp-Light-HD-303PDQ/204684496
You can also get timers, strip outlets, extension cords there terra cotta saucers for food and water, etc... You are going to also need some UV indoors. Get that here:
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com
2. Yes. It helps keep growth smooth and it also prevents dehydration. Temps must be kept up with humidity.
3. Mine lay outside, so I'll let others advise on this aspect. My nests are never deeper than 12-16".

That is a lot of leopards for that small space to be contained for months at a time. Where are you?

Substrate doesn't need to be changed if they pee. Just clean up any poop and leftover food.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
It is coco coir. I do not change it Just add more as the top layer is removed during cleaning.

TortsRcrazy

5 Year Member
How many 100watt bulbs will I need ? and do I need a larger space ? What I really need to do is sell one of my ladies

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
So lets talk more about your enclosure area. I also live in upstate ny and it is quite cold already. Are you planning on using a room in a house or a basement or some type of out door structure? If your house is heated to 70 in the winter you will only need to bring the room up 10 degrees which is not too hard to do as i do the dame thing for my snakes. But if your trying to heat an area thats 10*14 and below 60 degrees your going to have a very hard time.
I also feel like you may be better off parting with one and keeping many adults and subadults indoors for 6 or 7 months out of the years is hard.

TortsRcrazy

5 Year Member
Thanks Alexio
I have a heated shed for them outdoors but you are correct right now I have them indoors. The room I am making does stay just below 70 (maybe 65 if it's in the coldest months so yea it won't be terrible to bask them and keep them warm. I will need to sell one female , can I post that on this forum ?

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Sure there is a for sale or adoptions section depending on if you wanted money or not.
I could consider using a space heater possibly and using a few uv lights and incandescent lamps for basking.

TortsRcrazy

5 Year Member
Alexio , I am considering just running a heat run from my furnace into the enclosure