Newie mom, just found tortoise

Debbie_1210

Location (City and/or State)
Sarasota
My husband was walking the dogs and found a sulcata tortoise on the sidewalk. He seems to be eating fine. Greens, grass and soaked pellet. I have him right now in a laundry basket with heat light and heating pad. I just ordered him a house. I was wondering whats the best substrate and humidifier to use together. Also see more pics on IG Debbiedigsthis
Thanks for your help

Attachments

• IMG_0809.jpg
    IMG_0809.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20211224_170425.jpg
    20211224_170425.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 27
  • output_image1639850467434.jpg
    output_image1639850467434.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20211224_154231.jpg
    20211224_154231.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 26

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Just a thought...considering Sulcata are not really native to Florida...and he most probably hatched out of a nest by a released tortoise...could he belong to a neighbor?

maybe this will help you...

Debbie_1210

Sarasota
Just a thought...considering Sulcata are not really native to Florida...and he most probably hatched out of a nest by a released tortoise...could he belong to a neighbor?

maybe this will help you...
I just moved in about 3 months ago, I was thinking about asking some neighbors but now that I love him and spent over $300 I hate for them to ask for him back. My husband and I walked up and down the block to see if there were other babies, no luck

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Almost thought he was a desert tort.
He'll need this type of enclosure to stay healthy
@Tom is the expert om them

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I just moved in about 3 months ago, I was thinking about asking some neighbors but now that I love him and spent over $300 I hate for them to ask for him back. My husband and I walked up and down the block to see if there were other babies, no luck
You should and must give his original owners a chance to claim. As tortoise need care and attention owners become attached. With social media and a neighbourhood mail box drop you should try without any pics to try lost and found approach. The potential owner can describe or share a pic to match. Regardless of you spending money, you can buy your own if they come forward.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
If you advertise a found tort don't specify species or give too much away, just ask anyone who contacts you to tell you about their lost tort and send you pictures or info on any distinguishing marks.
Thank you for rescuing him though and if no one claims him you have found the best forum for up to date information on caring for a sully.

Debbie_1210

Sarasota
Almost thought he was a desert tort.
He'll need this type of enclosure to stay healthy
@Tom is the expert om them
as far as I read up on him he is a desert tort.
I ordered him a home. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HFRMSGC/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
I Hope this works well till hes bigger then we will build him something outside. right now I researching on the best humidifier to get him.
I will read up on that article thank you very much

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. There‘s lots of critical care info on Sulcata hatchlings here on TFO (posted down below). Make sure that you start soaking that little guy today & everyday in shallow nice warm water. A good 30-45 mins daily will do wonders. You can see how dry it already looks so - soak. Make sure you read up on minimum ambient temperatures in the enclosure. Heat, lighting, food, enclosure, humidity - all extremely critical.

This guy is pretty small, so most probably a local hatchling… lets hope it’s not someones new pet that escaped. ?

That enclosure that you ordered will need some fine tuning to maintain proper heat & humidity levels..

Make sure you use a good substrate that holds moisture. Fine orchid bark mix, coco coir, cypress mulch are all good. No hay, no straw, no “rabbit pellets”, no astro turf, no moss, no sand.

Critical Care Guide ➡️ https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...se-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/

Good Luck

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
as far as I read up on him he is a desert tort.
I ordered him a home. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HFRMSGC/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
I Hope this works well till hes bigger then we will build him something outside. right now I researching on the best humidifier to get him.
I will read up on that article thank you very much
That enclosure isn't suitable for sulcatas. They are not a desert tortoise and need monsoon conditions. Your Florida summers are ideal weather for them.

Humidifiers should not be used over tortoises and with the correct enclosure you won't need one. Please take a few minutes and read the care sheet that has been linked for you. It will save you from expensive common errors that will have to go back and fix later.

Debbie_1210

Sarasota
Greetings. There‘s lots of critical care info on Sulcata hatchlings here on TFO (posted down below). Make sure that you start soaking that little guy today & everyday in shallow nice warm water. A good 30-45 mins daily will do wonders. You can see how dry it already looks so - soak. Make sure you read up on minimum ambient temperatures in the enclosure. Heat, lighting, food, enclosure, humidity - all extremely critical.

This guy is pretty small, so most probably a local hatchling… lets hope it’s not someones new pet that escaped. ?

That enclosure that you ordered will need some fine tuning to maintain proper heat & humidity levels..

Make sure you use a good substrate that holds moisture. Fine orchid bark mix, coco coir, cypress mulch are all good. No hay, no straw, no “rabbit pellets”, no astro turf, no moss, no sand.

Critical Care Guide ➡️ https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...se-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/

Good Luck

Debbie_1210

Sarasota

Good Luck
Thanks for the helpful advice :) yes i bathe him everyday and mist him. I'm glad my husband found him when he did he was eating on a dead squirrel and my dogs almost got him too! hes in a better place now lol
I do have to get the humidity up. His new home came today. I already have heat lamps just waiting on the uvb lamp it will be here tomorrow. and i also put him out protected in the sun an hour a day. Ive had other reptiles before and I have been doing a lot of research on him. I will read your guide now. oh question some say to use a humidifier other say no ,any suggestions? again thanks so much for the advice

Hippytort

10 Year Member!
Southern CA
I really hate to say this Debbi because I get that your getting attached to the little fellow and investing in his health and happiness. BUT, you have to consider that someone maybe missing him/her and is heartbroken over loosing it.
With that said, This reminds me of a similar thing that happened to me back in 02. I found an Iguana about 4 ft long. Vet estimated his age at about 4 or 5 yrs at the time. I researched and decided to keep him and did everything to make him thrive. Built a huge cage, uvb bulbs, heat lamps etc. Several hundred dollars later, I see a flyer posted in the neighborhood, Lost Iguana. After much thought, I called and sure enough, my new friend actually was there's . Long story short. After they saw how much I cared and invested in him, they let me keep him!
He was part of our family until he passed in 2016. That makes him about 18 years old. A very long life for an Iguana!!

Last edited: