Newly Addicted Tortoise Enthusiast

Badkneesbond

Location (City and/or State)
South Jordan Utah
Quick introduction...

I live in Salt Lake City Utah, grew up in Hawaii and have no idea how I ended up somewhere so cold.
I am a father to three children and two Leopard Tortoise hatchlings.

I feel like I have read every page on this forum and am grateful for all of the valuable information.

My son wanted a tortoise this Christmas so I did what most first time pet owners do and went to the pet store. My son of course wanted the smallest tortoise he could find and picked out a tiny little Leopard Tortoise hatchling. I knew nothing about raising them but took the small care sheet provided by the pet store and started this journey. The next month was filled with 3 Vet visits, countless hours of watching (I installed a nanny cam) and hoping the tortoise would thrive and eventually our first tortoise passed away from renal failure.

A few things about our first hatchling from the pet store.
1. I took him to the vet the 4th day we had him and he only weighed 18 grams!
2. Had a soft plastron and i could squeeze his shell at least a few milometers.
3. Rubbed his eyes from the first day we had him.
4. Never had a solid bowel movement.

I couldn't find pictures on the internet or on this forum of a hatchling as small as the one we had.

BogeyBaby.PNG

I had read through Tom's and others advice a hundred times and created a closed enclosure with 80% humidity, repti bark flooring, a humid hide, t5 high output UVB measured with a UVB reader, 95-100 basking and 80 degree cool end and soaked once a day for 20-30 minutes. Everything on timers thermostats and even wemo remote controlled outlets. I fed cactus, grasses, dandelion leaves, greens, Mazuri etc. I had done all of this the first week. With this setup and after a few months, the little guy still didn't thrive, passed away and I was exhausted. The vet did an final examination and determined it was dehydration and renal failure.

I have since purchased two new hatchlings from breeders mentioned on this site and my mind is blown. I purchased one from Kenan Harkin (Kamp Kenan) and one from Andrew Hermes (Arizona Tortoise Compound). With the same exact setup, they are eating and growing, active and bright eyed. The most interesting thing about these hatchlings is that they both weighed over 30 grams. The one tortoise from Kenan was born on January 15th and was sent two weeks later. He weighed 31 grams before his first month. The most important advice found on this forum has to do with how these tortoises are started and having a good idea about where they came from. I wish I had known this before the pet store purchase.

Here are the healthy new torts.
newest.PNG

Sorry for typing so much... I just wanted to thank the power memebers of this forum for their advice and direction. I look forward to contributing and learning more.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. First my jaw dropped when I read where you were raised and where you live now. Are you nuts?:p:D That's okay, you will fit in very well here.
Sorry to hear about the little one, many of us have learned the hard way, one way or another. Good thing is you did learn and found us. :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome to the forum. Very sorry and sad for your first lost but glad to see the second batch of them are doing well.

Good to have you all here, This is wonderful place to learn and share! Welcome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We have been saying for quite some time they need to be started the right way. Your story only confirms that. You soaked for 20 minutes or so a day, and yet your baby still died and renal failure and dehydration were contributing factors. I'm so sorry to hear that this baby died. It sounds like you did everything correctly. You can save some of them, but not every time.

Welcome to the Forum! I'm glad you had the intestinal fortitude to give it another try. I feel sure these babies are going to thrive under you care.

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
Welcome, beautiful tortoises! I had a similar situation with my first tortoise. I bought a Hermann's hatchling from a pet store and found this forum immediately. I followed all the advice but my tortoise never gained much weight and got sicker and sicker until it passed away. I was heart sick. My vet could never really figure out what was wrong with him. I was afraid to try again, but enjoyed caring for a tortoise so much. I Purchased a tortoise a year ago from a breeder and I am amazed at the difference. I have such a healthy tortoise who is growing beautifully. Good luck with yours. Thanks for sharing.

Badkneesbond

South Jordan Utah
We have been saying for quite some time they need to be started the right way. Your story only confirms that. You soaked for 20 minutes or so a day, and yet your baby still died and renal failure and dehydration were contributing factors. I'm so sorry to hear that this baby died. It sounds like you did everything correctly. You can save some of them, but not every time.

Welcome to the Forum! I'm glad you had the intestinal fortitude to give it another try. I feel sure these babies are going to thrive under you care.

Thanks Yvonne,
I like your confidence ;-)

I plan on posting my setup and open it to feedback to make sure I have it correct. It's amazing how much these two eat and walk around.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. My first was Christmas present for my son as well. I got lucky with my blind pet store purchas, and he survived all of our wrong care for years. Long story short he got chewed by a dog, got sick, and getting him better, I found TFO. Since then, my son moved out. I kept Mort, and now have 16 tortoise, leopards, Russians and a Sulcata, plus over a dozen hatchlings. Starting my collection I lost a couple dry start babies as well. One of the reasons I am breeding.
Welcome to the forum. You are starting off way better than I did. Good luck keeping the addiction under control. ;)

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Sorry to hear of the bad experience you had , but am glad you have decided to give it another try . It sounds like things are going great ! I am sure they will thrive ! :cool:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Thanks for sharing your story. Hope you get better results this time.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Welcome to the forum. My first was Christmas present for my son as well. I got lucky with my blind pet store purchas, and he survived all of our wrong care for years. Long story short he got chewed by a dog, got sick, and getting him better, I found TFO. Since then, my son moved out. I kept Mort, and now have 16 tortoise, leopards, Russians and a Sulcata, plus over a dozen hatchlings. Starting my collection I lost a couple dry start babies as well. One of the reasons I am breeding.
Welcome to the forum. You are starting off way better than I did. Good luck keeping the addiction under control. ;)

That will never happen!