newly hatched red foot

transboxer

Hi there. I am so excited that on 6/3 was the start of our red foot eggs hatching. We are new to this and i am concerned about how to care of this little guy. My adults are voracious eaters and love the shallow pool they have and never turn down a meal and are doing great. We have tired introduce food to this new baby but not sure he is getting what he needs. We take him out daily to get sun and he walks around out in the grass and seems to be doing well but i have not seen him eat anything we have given him. He seems to be a little on the sluggish side. :(

What is a baby red food diet? Am i bad to think that is the same as my adults? Already very attached to this little guy and could use some feedback please.

Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe @N2TORTS will help,out here. A little more info on how you are housing him and temps and humidity might help too. Also, check out another forum members web site that is really informative for RF owners, as well as others. It's the tortoiselibrary.com

Turtlepete

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
The diet is similar to that of adults, but a little less fruit. Mainly dark leafy greens, squashes, etc.. I leave whole mushy strawberries in the enclosures for the picky eaters, which will usually start them eating, as they like the color. I offer Mazuri tortoise chow as well. Cantaloupe and papaya about once a week. As far as habitat, as high of humidity as you can supply (80-90%), and temperatures around 84-86. Natural sunlight is good but take care not to let him over-heat. Substrate, I recommend spaghnum moss, holds humidity great and the hatchlings love to burrow in it if you leave a fluffed up pile of it in the corner. I usually leave a big pile of it under the heat lamp, which keeps a nice warm and moist area. This is where the young tend to spend most of their time.