News Item: 183 year old tortoise saved by vet

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad he's doing so good now. Interesting that so much fruit would be considered a good diet. I just wonder if a continuing diet with that much fruit will do him more harm then good down the road or should we be giving our torts or just those who have Aldabras more fruit then what we do, if any at all is given? @ALDABRAMAN do you know anything good or bad about giving that much fruit as part of a daily diet? I know you have fed watermelon, do you give more fruit then that? Do you know anyone with Aldabras or any other species that feeds a lot of fruit with no visible problems?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I feed mine about the same % fruit as I feed the RF tortoises

W Shaw

Glad he's doing so good now. Interesting that so much fruit would be considered a good diet. I just wonder if a continuing diet with that much fruit will do him more harm then good down the road or should we be giving our torts or just those who have Aldabras more fruit then what we do, if any at all is given? @ALDABRAMAN do you know anything good or bad about giving that much fruit as part of a daily diet? I know you have fed watermelon, do you give more fruit then that? Do you know anyone with Aldabras or any other species that feeds a lot of fruit with no visible problems?

Maybe it's just a temporary measure for weight gain. Vet has my little rescued Russian eating winter squashes temporarily to put some weight on, even though they're really too sweet to be part of his regular diet once he's gained what he needs.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe it's just a temporary measure for weight gain. Vet has my little rescued Russian eating winter squashes temporarily to put some weight on, even though they're really too sweet to be part of his regular diet once he's gained what he needs.
That's what I thought at first, but sounds like it's a permanent part of the diet.

W Shaw

That's what I thought at first, but sounds like it's a permanent part of the diet.
Hard to say from a news story. No way to know what the vet is actually doing with him. Reporters take notes and pull the story together, but rarely get all the details. I suspect the reporter was only interested in a feel-good story, and asked the vet what kinds of things he fed the tortoise to make him gain weight, and the vet listed a few "ferinstances".