News paper as substrate?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would say no, unless you have a tortoise that is being treated for a wound, or fungus or some other ailment and you don’t want it exposed to dirt/mulch/coir etc in order to keep the wound clean.

If thats not the case, high humidity and newspaper = mold, mildew, etc. so, id say no.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
One issue with newspaper is lack of traction. In the old days of the hobby (70's), there were lots of horror stories of tortoises that had splayed limbs and were functionally crippled due to the lack of traction.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I have seen many enclosures with newspaper in them

Is newspaper an ok substrate?
I agree that it may be OK temporarily when treating a sick or injured tortoise, but not for any permanent situation.
What kind of enclosures have you seen with newspaper and where were they?
I do use newspaper for my snakes but not tortoises. And it's not just newspaper alone in their enclosures.
Unfortunately, at the zoo here in Jamaica, the poor little baby redfoot tortoises are put into open cardboard boxes with newspaper. You can guess how they turn out!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
1. no traction
2. most tortoise require a bit of humidity in their environment - newspaper = no humidity
3. tortoises like to dig and most will end up UNDER the newspaper
4. you have to change newspaper frequently, while substrate only requires changes in 6 months to a year
5. Newspaper gets wet, then crumbly, then moldy
6. tortoises can't read ;)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
1. no traction
2. most tortoise require a bit of humidity in their environment - newspaper = no humidity
3. tortoises like to dig and most will end up UNDER the newspaper
4. you have to change newspaper frequently, while substrate only requires changes in 6 months to a year
5. Newspaper gets wet, then crumbly, then moldy
6. tortoises can't read ;)
Snakes cannot read either but I try to leave the cartoon side up for them.:D