Nifty

norahs

Location (City and/or State)
West Sussex
Thank you for letting me join.
I wonder if anyone could help me.
I was given a tortoise last week.
I had been thinking about getting one for a good 20 years, only because I had 4 when I was younger, but they were looked after so differently then.
Her name is Nifty (as in nifty fifty) and she is 2 I think
she came in a tank

We are currently buying her a table top with the correct heating
but I wondered if anyone knows what breed she is
I have washed her 3 times in the last week, fed her daily but going to leave a day out soon
put vitamin powder in her food 3 x a week

D781F8A4-7589-413D-A8EF-06CFCFBF0C08.jpegEDCF4CE1-6E31-4CDB-B268-F045535E8A1E.jpeg31E01772-0A18-47AF-8A45-BB521159A428.jpeg0DFD4DDB-57FD-4F08-887E-CD525BA50CFD.jpeg

PiL71

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Hello! A fellow Russian keeper! That does look like a rough start like the user above me said. However, not to fret, it just looks like a little bit of pyramiding. I'm pretty sure it's correctable with age and proper care. Also, it kills my heart to see a tort in such a small enclosure. I believe, when I was researching this a few months ago, it said 5-8 sq feet. A question I have for you is, I noticed you have a completely clear side. I'm quite curious to see how your tort reacts to that, whether she/he will pace it, or just ignore it, or attempt to walk through it because they cannot properly process glass walls. Let me know how it goes, though!

norahs

West Sussex
Hello! A fellow Russian keeper! That does look like a rough start like the user above me said. However, not to fret, it just looks like a little bit of pyramiding. I'm pretty sure it's correctable with age and proper care. Also, it kills my heart to see a tort in such a small enclosure. I believe, when I was researching this a few months ago, it said 5-8 sq feet. A question I have for you is, I noticed you have a completely clear side. I'm quite curious to see how your tort reacts to that, whether she/he will pace it, or just ignore it, or attempt to walk through it because they cannot properly process glass walls. Let me know how it goes, though!
Thank you I was given her in this tank I can’t wait to get her out it breaking my heart too x

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Norah and welcome to the Forum!

It's hard for hard-bodied tortoises that can't bend their body to get in and out of those reptile bowls without tipping over backwards and ending up on their back in the water. It would be safer (and easier) for the tortoise to use a plant saucer that's sunk down into the substrate for water and a large tile or piece of cement for feeding.

your new little russian isn't in bad shape, the bumpiness only tells us he was raised pretty dry his first year. They need a bit of humidity while they're that young. He's fine, it's only cosmetic.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I see several things to comment on here:
  • There is nothing wrong with that enclosure. That style is actually better for raising babies, and its the reason the tortoise is in pretty good shape. The tortoise has outgrown it now, but it was not a bad place to grow up.
  • Glass tanks are NOT bad for tortoises. That is a persistent myth that has been around since long before the internet was invented.
  • The substrate in there is BAD. Those little white limestone bits encourage them to eat their substrate, and sand is one component of that "Pets at Home" stuff. Get rid if it ASAP and replace it with fine grade orchid bark. Keep the substrate just a little bit damp. This adds a little humidity and also keeps the dust to a minimum.
  • Get rid of the hay. Russians are not grass eaters, and the hay is a mold risk.
  • Most people keep tortoises in ensures that are too small. It contribute to health issues and all sorts of problem. If you are getting a table, it need to be large. 4x8 feet or more. They need room to room around inside their enclosures. They should never be allowed to room loose on the floor.
  • I agree with Yvonne about the water bowl. Remove that ASAP.

Here is another thread in addition to the one Blackdog left for you:

norahs

West Sussex
Hi Norah and welcome to the Forum!

It's hard for hard-bodied tortoises that can't bend their body to get in and out of those reptile bowls without tipping over backwards and ending up on their back in the water. It would be safer (and easier) for the tortoise to use a plant saucer that's sunk down into the substrate for water and a large tile or piece of cement for feeding.

your new little russian isn't in bad shape, the bumpiness only tells us he was raised pretty dry his first year. They need a bit of humidity while they're that young. He's fine, it's only cosmetic.

norahs

West Sussex
thank you so much I am constantly stressing about her, over the last week, loosing sleep,
she has now come out of the glass tank
inside is 95 all day and tonight I am going to check the temperature making sure it does not go under 20, but I have put foil on top of the unit also to keep heat in, she seems happier since we changed her unit, I am going to the reptire shop at the weekend to check food is correct also. Not much else I can try without getting in the unit tonight myself (joke), I am driving the whole family mad, THANK YOU, so much.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
thank you so much I am constantly stressing about her, over the last week, loosing sleep,
she has now come out of the glass tank
inside is 95 all day and tonight I am going to check the temperature making sure it does not go under 20, but I have put foil on top of the unit also to keep heat in, she seems happier since we changed her unit, I am going to the reptire shop at the weekend to check food is correct also. Not much else I can try without getting in the unit tonight myself (joke), I am driving the whole family mad, THANK YOU, so much.
Pet shops are notorious for bad tortoise info and selling the wrong products. Just wanted you to know that before they sell you a bunch of stuff that is bad for your tortoise.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome read the care sheets for Russians here. Like Tom said, pet stores have wrong info and generally the wrong products. Here on TFO you will find everything you need and your questions answered by knowledgeable members. And probably save you money from buying the wrong stuff at the pet store.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello and welcome with your pretty little Russian tortoise. All the best. This is a great site with wise, experienced tortoise people!