Night bulbs for horsefield tortoise

Shermans Mum:)

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi guys,
I’m an owner of a 5 year old horsefield tortoise called Sherman :) I have recently just brought him a new night heat bulb as his ceramic heat emitter broke and this was all they had in the pet shop. It’s a 15w exo terra night heat lamp which is a blueish bulb to resemble natural moonlight? I was just wondering is this is acceptable for a long period of time or whether I would need just use this temporarily until I can get a new heat emitter?
Any advice would be great thanks guys
X

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
At five years of age Sherman can get by without night heat - unless your house is extremely cold at night. Anything above 65F degrees is fine for night.

England
Thanks Yvonne, I noticed last night it was rather cold but on warmer nights I wouldn’t put on his heater anyway, I’ll keep an eye on things and just turn it on when it’s colder, is that bulb acceptable though

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi guys,
I’m an owner of a 5 year old horsefield tortoise called Sherman :) I have recently just brought him a new night heat bulb as his ceramic heat emitter broke and this was all they had in the pet shop. It’s a 15w exo terra night heat lamp which is a blueish bulb to resemble natural moonlight? I was just wondering is this is acceptable for a long period of time or whether I would need just use this temporarily until I can get a new heat emitter?
Any advice would be great thanks guys
X
What is the overnight low temperature in your house where the enclosure sits?

If you have no other choice and it is too cold, then go ahead and use that bulb. Best to have it dark at night. Also, a 15 watt bulb isn't going to do much for heat anyway.

England
I live in England and our weathers been cold the past few days so night temps would be around 11-15 degrees Celsius, but when the weathers warmer (which it is today) it’ll be up to 15-18 degrees Celsius. And yeah I’m aware it won’t do much just wanted it to take the chill off before I get a heat emitter