Night temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
Ralph is 4 yrs old. He has a dogloo that has a heat lamp inside, plus packed with timothy hay. The door to the dogloo has strips of clear plastic shower curtain liner on it, in about 3 layers. At night we put a plastic rubbermaid lid in front of the door for drafts.

Today I'm freezing. It was rainy pretty much throughout the day today in San Diego. Right now it's 60 degrees and will get chillier as the night goes on (right now it's only 7:15pm). My thermometer broke and I can't get to a store tonight. Think he will be okay and not get too cold in his dogloo tonight? I'm worried, but I also don't want to get him used to coming inside again at nights. I'm wondering, should I put another heat lamp inside? Should I put a pig blanket in there? If yes to a pig blanket, where should I put it....on the side with the heat lamp? on the side with no heat? The heat lamp is on one side, so he can have a "cold" and "warm" side. Should I put something over the entire dogloo to trap more heat?

Thanks in advance!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Id be worried about the heat lamp with grass hay.. Fire
What was the temp in there before the thermometer broke?
YOu can get a heavy blanket and cover the dog house. this really helps hold heat in.

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yeah its been cold here in los angeles also, especially in the morning. I have 2 hatchlings that are currently indoors and their tank gets to the low 60s over night... any suggestions on how to keep them warm over night w/out having to use so much energy? I feel really bad for the little guys when i wake up and see the low temperatures so I immediately turn on the heat lamp. Good luck with your situation DAC.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
For the indoor hatchlings, I would keep the heat lamp on all the time, just at one end of the enclosure. That way, if they are cold they can get heat, too hot get on the cooler side.

Laura, I was really worried about fire too, but my husband (whether he really knows or not) said it would be fine. We haven't had any problems as of yet (since Aug). I try to keep the hay not so deep on the heat lamp side. There is some, but not not much. I'm going to be putting up a thicker "door" today, getting a heavy blanket to put over the house, and just try rearranging things.

Thanks for the info/help!!

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
yeah but is there another way to keep it warm over night without wasting so much energy?

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
how much enrgey do you think it takes to keep the light on?

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
my bulb is 75 watts but i turn it on from 7 or 8am and keep it on until 6pm

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
They make heaters for the dogloo

http://www.futurepets.com/Dogloo.htm

I live in phoenix, right now I'm using a ceramic heat light at night. I think I need a "pig blanket" also, for when our nights dip into the colder weather.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
It's staying within 69-72 degrees at night inside the dogloo. I have the heat lamp inside, a heavey towel and a tarp on the top outside. It seems to be working in conjuction with the makeshift door I have in front of the plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.