night time/cool days indoor enclosure for russian gals

surfergirl

Well i have three russian gals who get along amazingly for these better kept solitary brute torts. They have a large enclosure outdoors for the summer and did well this yr but wanted to have something inside setup for the cooler nights and the winter until i can get heat boxes built outside for them. - winter project. I am also wanting to keep them eating until late december and then possibly do a short hibernation for our coolest months of mid jan to march. So i bought 4 qty 54 gallon rubbermaid totes and i am making little apts off each side of the center tote. I added one yesterday and they love it. They can each have their own tote or meet in the middle. These little girls so far have co-habitated great but i really focus on numerous basking spots, site blinds, numerous eating areas, and more space is better.
I was afraid to separate them in the case they would get territorial when put together again next spring. I really think the more resources they have of what they need is key to them getting along. Attached is a picture of the first two totes connected. They will all be hooked to the sides like this so it blocks their site of each tote. They had it all figured out the day after i set them up. I think i am going to do the same for my Herman's so he has more space and it gives him a better feel like a big area until i can get their hot houses in the works for outside all year. Looks like i am going to fill the whole spare bedroom, but they love it so its worth it. Going to be warm enough today for a bit of outdoor time so i can finish the project. Attached is a picture of the connection and two of the torts enjoying it. All three were in different areas of the totes, the biggest gal was under the light at the left basking. . Also this was the first time that littlest gal ever touched mazuri. I do not feed it but 1 to 2 times a week but it is part of a larger variety diet to make sure i meet their needs. Hopefully this idea helps others who need more space for multiple torts and makes for an easy tear down, put up when you need it.1477837506048.jpg1477837489093.jpg1477837460957.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I always allow hibernation for my Russians. That takes away the 'keeping them warm' problem.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Looks like a goods start.

Once you get the water bowls, basking slates, and hides in there, it will be a nice little winter retreat.