Night time temperature methods

prelyt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I was wondering how you fellow sulcata owners keep their hatchlings and yearlings warm at night. I am keeping my sully's basking lamp on at night to keep an ambient temperature of about 80-85 degrees. Is it ok for him to not have a "night" time with lights off? I figured if he is bothered by his light then he can seek darkness in his hide. I just dont want to stress out the little guy. thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get a CHE, ceramic heat emitter. Throws off heat, but no light. They should have it dark at night.

Also, if you haven't, read Toms threads below in my post for raising healthy and smooth sulcatas.

prelyt

5 Year Member
Southern California
wellington said:
Get a CHE, ceramic heat emitter. Throws off heat, but no light. They should have it dark at night.

Also, if you haven't, read Toms threads below in my post for raising healthy and smooth sulcatas.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was wondering.

ashleym

5 Year Member
My little one is about 2.5 months old now and we do a Hydrokable substrate heater plus a black light bulb at night. I am considering getting a CHE though aswell and to cut back on the substrate heater a little as i've been noticing it isn't getting quite as warm as i'd like at night.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
My 4 year old Jordanain Greek is doing fabulous with a black light on 24/7 for warmth, but the babies (Sulcata) have a CHE that is on when the PowerSun isn't.

I have been getting my CHEs on eBay for around $5 each. Make sure its 120v. 😁

sopo

5 Year Member
So Central OK
Team Gomberg said:
I use CHEs and love them. I keep mine on thermostats so I know my night time temps stay at the set temperatures.

Can you recommend a good thermostat for the CHE?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
If you haven't done so already you may need to cover the top of your enclosure to keep heat and humidity in. Even with a good CHE and a good thermostat heat can be escaping into the room. When my sulcata was a baby I kept the CHE on a thermostat and the basking light on a timer. Whe the basking light kept the ambient temps high enough the thermostat turned off the CHE. Other times the CHE kept the enclosure warm.

tortwalt

5 Year Member
sopo said:
Team Gomberg said:
I use CHEs and love them. I keep mine on thermostats so I know my night time temps stay at the set temperatures.

Can you recommend a good thermostat for the CHE?

Here is what I am using for a thermostat

Here is the wiring diagram for it:

The only drawback is that it only shows centigrade, but you can get the conversion online to get it to Fahrenheit and you should be good to go!