nightcrawlers? where is the best place to get them?

the Turtle Shepherd

Location (City and/or State)
nowhere
nightcrawlers are crazy expensive. there are no worms in the ground, where does everyone purchase nightcrawlers? where is the best price? please help me out, or can anyone dig some up for me? lol;) I am serious:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I buy mine at Walmart in the fishing tackle department. If they're out, I buy them at Petsmart.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
I watered the lawn, took a flashlight, got a royal backache and a can full of worms. You could also raise your own.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
nightcrawlers are crazy expensive. there are no worms in the ground, where does everyone purchase nightcrawlers?
I'd do as both Yvonne and William suggest.
Firstly I'd purchase some from WallyWorld or a different sport fishing store.
Secondly I'd raise those up and start my own colony of night crawlers.
Raising your own for your turtles insures that you have control over what they've been eating and that they're healthy as a worm can be.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I doubt you'd be able to raise nightcrawlers in L. A. They come from a cooler or more northerly area.

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
i found one tiny worm in the park today :) it is a good sign:) I will get a few and see if i can clone them:) they will colonize my compost bin:) thank you everyone:)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I doubt you'd be able to raise nightcrawlers in L. A. They come from a cooler or more northerly area.
Is that why they are kept refridgerated? Or is to keep them slowed down.
And yes. Walmart or a tackle store.
Regular "red" worms are cheaper and reproduce like rabbits.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Sometimes the stuff the worms are packed in is just newspaper. I wouldn't want my turtles eating newspaper. I would order some off the Internet and start raising your own. There's a place called Joe's worm farm or Jim's worm farm, something like that. He has nightcrawlers and red wigglers.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Don't some feed coffee grounds and crushed up egg shell? (TO THE WORMS)
I'm sure some do. Where I bought them from they were very good, Jim or John can't remember the name. It is a good way to get rid of garden waste and your tortoises and turtles gonna like the worms. And my chickens really liked the worms.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are earthworms just about anywhere that there is plant life and dirt.

Do you have access to a yard anywhere? Get a sprinkler and water a small area heavily at night, before you go to bed. Then, lay a piece of cardboard flat on that wet area. In the morning, there will be a bunch of earthworms ready for pick up. Do this on a lawn or near a tree for best results, but even on plain dry dirt, it works.

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
There are earthworms just about anywhere that there is plant life and dirt.

Do you have access to a yard anywhere? Get a sprinkler and water a small area heavily at night, before you go to bed. Then, lay a piece of cardboard flat on that wet area. In the morning, there will be a bunch of earthworms ready for pick up. Do this on a lawn or near a tree for best results, but even on plain dry dirt, it works.
oh i have plenty of yard:) I will try this trick:) thank you:) the soil is just hard, the best soil is where the torts live, i will set a trap there:) thank you:)

mshine1217

5 Year Member
Deer Lodge, MT
I made one purchase from NWRedworms.com , set up a plastic tub, throw in veggie scraps and I've never run out of worm since.