no appetite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant5346

5 Year Member
I've had my Russian tortoise since i was about 8, I'm 21 now and i've noticed recently she hasnt been eating. i live in chicago and it's late october and getting pretty cold, i THINK that might be something to do with it, but i dont know. i moved her to a much warmer room and put the heat lamp closer in her enclosure. i have noticed the only thing she wants to do around this time of the year is dig and sleep, but shes never gone this long without touching her food (about 3 days now). i've cleaned her tank, bought a new bulb for the heat lamp and give her fresh food when i see the previous food dried out. i have never hibernated her before either. does anyone have any ideas?

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
Dont have any idea sorry....But it is great that you have had her all you life Im guessing she(?) Is part of the family ? ;)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Your correct, she may be winding down thinking that nature is saying for her to prepare for hibernation. Two things are important to keep her up and active...warmth and light. You said you moved her to a warmer room, but how warm is it, at substrate level where she is? How warm is the heat lamp keeping it and is it on all day and night too? Does she have a light producing light, too? If so, how many hours a day is it shining? Have you given her a warm soak to also help stimulate activity and eating?

Going without food for three days, if she is of proper weight, is not a huge deal... so relax a bit. :)

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
My boxie is doing the same thing so don't sweet it, hibernation is almost here:D

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
What are the daytime/nighttime temperatures and light duration and intensity that your tortoise is being exposed to? They do not go into hibernation artifically indoors when normal activity levels are being maintained.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi ant5346:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

Status
Not open for further replies.