No likey wheat grass . . .

P

pguinpro

I was at Safeway and saw already grown grass! To my astonishment it was listed as safe to eat in the tortoise table DB. Unfortunately, Ollie ain't having none of that sh. He walks around it and even if I pluck some out and put it on his food rock he ignores it completely. Any suggestions? Currently growing buffalo grass in my kitchen.1530308198347.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Just keep it there. He might take a nibble. You can place the food plate closer to the grass, chop little bits in...but no harm no foul. It LOOKS good and natural and living! Heck, i would plant more.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Chop it up and mix it with something he likes , (Mazuri pellets) ? Add more gradually and he will get used to the taste . :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No tortoise likes most good foods the first time it sees them. If the person who started your baby as a hatchling didn't introduce grass into the diet, then you will have to take the time to do it. Most breeders don't, so this is fairly typical.

Start by chopping up the day's greens super fine. Then chop up a tiny tiny amount of the grass and mix it all in. We're talking just a few pieces at first. Over the next few weeks, gradually add more and more grass to the pile each day. In time, your tortoise will recognize grass as food. Once the tortoise is 6-8 inches it will hoover up darn near anything you put in front of it.

Grass should be a big part of a sulcata's diet, so it is worth the time and effort to to this. You can use this same process to introduce any new food. Weeds, leaves, opuntia pads, etc...

P

pguinpro

Chop it up and mix it with something he likes , (Mazuri pellets) ? Add more gradually and he will get used to the taste . :)
This worked 100% I minced the grass and then made a mash he ate almost the entire thing. Wondering when hell start eating from the actual plant :/.