No longer eating!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
My area in CA, never goes below 60 ( yet), they eat pretty well all year round, I don't notice a real slowdown. One thing they LOVE to eat is sea food medley, it is what people use for like soup and stock. It has pieces of fish,squid, and other sea life, they go nuts fo it. the seafood medley is usually sold in hispanic markets, mine on't really slow down, because... it is CA.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Warm weather! :(
So they might be looking out for more protein filled meals?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I can't say if it is more protein to be honest, I just think the smell drives them bonkers. think of shelled piranhas.

TortMomma

Well, two of my sliders are just little piggies, as always, it's just 3 of the turtles on a boycot.
Maybe some captive turtles bio clock switches just don't flip on right??
Could very well be. I'm thinking my guys issue is I didn't totally switch over to "winter mode" soon enough. It was hard this year because we had some really cold nights and the next day we would have days in the 70s (damn PA weather). So I think I let them get a lil chill for a day, because we didn't turn the heat on in the house just yet.
Especially my EBT not needing too much light it's hard to figure out the best way to keep it not too hot and not too cold. Luckily my one room upstairs gets summer warm when we turn the heat one.
No one looks sick though. I think it's just going to take some time to trick them into thinking it's not fall/winter.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Could very well be. I'm thinking my guys issue is I didn't totally switch over to "winter mode" soon enough. It was hard this year because we had some really cold nights and the next day we would have days in the 70s (damn PA weather). So I think I let them get a lil chill for a day, because we didn't turn the heat on in the house just yet.
Especially my EBT not needing too much light it's hard to figure out the best way to keep it not too hot and not too cold. Luckily my one room upstairs gets summer warm when we turn the heat one.
No one looks sick though. I think it's just going to take some time to trick them into thinking it's not fall/winter.
But how to!? :( CHEs would be okay, maybe cranking up the water temp a little more will toast everyone up.

TortMomma

Oh, yes, but how to? :(
Consistency with longer light times, keeping heat on point, and variety in diet???
I don't know if that's the key but it's my plan. I really don't want my EBT hatchling to hibernate so young, but we shall see.
Keep me updated on your progress and anything you think that's working.
Oh and defiantly try some meal worms.

TortMomma

Wax worms are also another of my RES' favorites. I haven't had them in a couple weeks so I think I'll get some this weekend and see if that helps.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'll have to get the whole barrage of live buggies tomorrow, maybe they'll lure the turtles... out of their shells...
I'll keep with 14 hours for a bit to see if it helps any.
You too, I want to get mine eating again!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Wax worms are also another of my RES' favorites. I haven't had them in a couple weeks so I think I'll get some this weekend and see if that helps.
Butter worms are large and squishy, probably filled with protein!!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Butter worms are really high in calories.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
The painted turtles ate a little this morning, and I have eat to get some buggies, but that good :)

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Well there is your reason. 68-70 is cold water for turtles. You wanna actually aim for 75-78 degrees, around that area. That is not to hot at all. Hatchlings are supposed to start out at 78-80.

Last edited:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Well there is your reason. 68-70 is cold water for turtles. You wanna actually aim for 76-78 degrees. That is not to hot at all.
Wow! I thought that would be too toasty.
I'll go hook that up, then!
Is my RES's water okay, at 70?
EDIT- they're all adults, so a little colder.