Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
A couple months ago I told you all about a young male yellowfoot tortoise that was prolapsed, took him to the vet, while there he pooped out a very large, smooth rock and a bunch of little rocks. And since that time he's been pooping out little rocks every time he poops. While the vet was fiddling around and trying to push the prolapse back in, she told me she didn't feel a penis. I still didn't trust that, and still thought he was male. The adult male in the pen was always chasing the younger one around and bullying him. I had to keep them separate. I'm real bad at sexing the South American tortoises. Their cloaca is so far away from the body of the tortoise that they all look like male to me.

My YF shed has a little porch-type affair that is closed in with lattice and separated into two so I can allow the younger, smaller tortoises out on the porch. I haven't used the smaller area because the outside pen is so overgrown, its pretty easy for the smaller ones to get away from the bigger ones. The last several nights my prolapsed tortoise has been inside the smaller area. I have no idea how he's getting in there, but where there's a will there's a way. And, tonight instead of the tortoise, I found these in there:

6-25-11YFeggs.jpg

Yippee, yippee, hooray!!! He's a girl afterall! So now I have 1.2.3 and I'm hoping the .0.3 are female too!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No better proof than some eggs.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Congrats Yvonne that's great :) I guess the dude was a lady after all :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Dude does not only look like a lady but lays like one to.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What a fun surprise!! What will you do with them now to incubate them? I would be eggstatic, LOL.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a couple incubators. I've got one set up with Manouria eggs, and I'll just set up another for these eggs. I also saw some test nests in the ornate box turtle habitat, so I'll need the extra incubator set up for those too.

Status
Not open for further replies.