No wifi cams?

Cleopatra 2020

Location (City and/or State)
El Mirage. Az
Just wondering if anybody knows of any cams or pet cams that do not require Wi-Fi and if so can you shoot me a link thanks in advance

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
I just don't understand why I can't connect to the phone it has an app and everything they should just put a chip in the camera to where you don't need Wi-Fi that it just goes to a satellite and then your app of course on your phone which has the internet already

stigrk

Oslo, Norway
I just don't understand why I can't connect to the phone it has an app and everything they should just put a chip in the camera to where you don't need Wi-Fi that it just goes to a satellite and then your app of course on your phone which has the internet already

Because that would make the camera incredible expensive and to talk with a statellite with bandwidth enough to transfer live video you need a sizeable external antenna as well.

WiFi chips are «a dime a dusin» and almost everyone has WiFi these days, makes choice easy for the manufacturers, you put a WiFi chip inside an satisfy 99% of the market.

You can find camera that will accept a network cable as well if that is an alternative.

You will also find some cameras with a SIM card, basically they build a phone inside the camera but that as well is more expensive and would require som kind of running carrier plan with a telco. Would be way more cheap than the satellitte option though.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Because that would make the camera incredible expensive and to talk with a statellite with bandwidth enough to transfer live video you need a sizeable external antenna as well.

WiFi chips are «a dime a dusin» and almost everyone has WiFi these days, makes choice easy for the manufacturers, you put a WiFi chip inside an satisfy 99% of the market.

You can find camera that will accept a network cable as well if that is an alternative.

You will also find some cameras with a SIM card, basically they build a phone inside the camera but that as well is more expensive and would require som kind of running carrier plan with a telco. Would be way more cheap than the satellitte option though.

Yep, satellite TCOM is expensive. Dated info, but look at the rates..

GMPCS sells and provides 24/7 technical support for Iridium, Inmarsat, Globalstar, and Thuraya. If you purchase a sat-phone, expect to spend between $600 and $1700, depending upon the network. All of the phones are lightweight, small, and replicate the functionality of your cellular telephone

Satellite Phones

• Iridium Satellite Phone Monthly Plans and Airtime. As Low As $55.99/Month Requires one-time $35 activation fee.
  • Iridium GO! Monthly Airtime Plans. ...
  • Inmarsat IsatPhone North America Monthly Service Plans. As Low As $34.99/Month.
  • Inmarsat IsatPhone Global Monthly Service Plans. As Low As $39.99/Month.

Last edited:

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
You can get a normal WiFi one for 30 bucks and get a portable WiFi router for like 30 bucks.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
You can get a normal WiFi one for 30 bucks and get a portable WiFi router for like 30 bucks.
yeah I got a nice cheap camera for 25 bucks that looks like it works great as two-way audio and all kinds of features but I couldn't connect to my neighbor's Wi-Fi so I was having issues there's only four steps to set it up and it was being a pain in the *** I think I might just call for technical support today and see if someone can help it's a wyze camera

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
yeah I got a nice cheap camera for 25 bucks that looks like it works great as two-way audio and all kinds of features but I couldn't connect to my neighbor's Wi-Fi so I was having issues there's only four steps to set it up and it was being a pain in the *** I think I might just call for technical support today and see if someone can help it's a wyze camera
Yea I am getting one similar to that. I like the motion sensor and 2 way audio feature. That way if a coyote gets within 30 feet of my enclosure I will get a notification on my phone and I just scream in the microphone and the coyote will get scared and run of. LOL