Noises by a female redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okietorter

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
What kind of noises does an adult female redfoot make if she is in a breeding mood? And does she make noises before she is ready to lay eggs? I'm puzzled by noises I have not heard before but the herd has been out in their big yard and I may not have noticed. I have posted a similar notice on one other redfoot forum, but want lots of input.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington TX.
Okietorter said:
What kind of noises does an adult female redfoot make if she is in a breeding mood? And does she make noises before she is ready to lay eggs? I'm puzzled by noises I have not heard before but the herd has been out in their big yard and I may not have noticed. I have posted a similar notice on one other redfoot forum, but want lots of input.

My female makes noises similar to the male (like a clucking chicken) but not as pronounced.

Okietorter

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Are the noises made as a mating readiness call or laying eggs sound?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Females usually do the "clucking" in conjunction with mounting. It could be a dominance display or the female could be gravid.
Not anything to do with her readiness to mate or laying eggs. They are quiet during both.
How big are your Redfoots Alice?

Danny

Okietorter

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wilma is 13 " and Chief and Acorn are 11 ". Chief is the dominant male and is the one mating with Wilma. Poor Acorn just accepts his lot in life for now. Dan, did you see my post about Greek?

As far the the noise, Wilma was sitting inside her hide, rubbing noses with Chief, making clucking and squeaks, and he was silent. Then he found one of the juvie torts and mounted. Ah, love in the afternoon!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You'll know if she's gravid, as she'll start to pace. :D

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.