Non Intrusive Night-light

SanctuaryHills

Location (City and/or State)
Miami, FL
I'm looking to spy on my tortoises at night so I'll be installing a camera inside their shed (Yi camera).

Since the shed is well sealed and insulated I doubt my cam will be able to capture much in the total pitch darkness.

The camera does have "night vision" so I'm sure that even a faint light source (ie. a weak LED) should be enough.

What do you guys recommend? Is there a light type/color that will be less intrusive for my Aldabras? Not trying to mess up their sleep patterns.

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
Does it use IR for the "night vision"? If so, then you shouldn't need anything else, the camera has the IR source built in.
I believe it does, but do you think that will be enough? I always assumed the IR was suitable for low light applications, such as hanging a camera outside at night, but we are talking about a totally enclosed box here. Total darkness. Not sure how good the image will be in my situation.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes it should be enough. I have blink cameras and no added light. That's what the night vision is for.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In my limited experience with night vision and IR, you shouldn't need anything else.

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
Thank you @Tom and @wellington. I suppose I'll try out the camera without any additional lights and see how clear the image is. It might just be that the Yi cameras are not as good with their night vision compared to the Blink cams. But I rather stick with that brand since all my other cameras are Yi... So I'd only need one app to manage them all.

Worse case scenario I can always add a very low intensity red LED down the line if needed. Can tortoises see Red? I guess I'm off too Google.