Non-tort turds / Odin's gardening assistant

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
While out watching Odin in the playpen this adorable creature came out to munch about 30 feet from us. After taking pics (naturally) I checked out the playpen and sure enough there were bunny turds. Odin didn't see them or eat them, but I know if they continue to share nibble-space it's just a matter of time, so, with rabbits having a similar diet to sully's, are their droppings less of a concern than other garden thieves if he does get a hold of them?

Please don't tell me I have to comb through his playpen every day for tiny bunny pellets......001.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I ah e tons of wild rabbits in my yard daily. Moms, dads and babies and babies and babies. I have never given it a second thought. There is no way I could possibly pick up all the rabbit poop, let alone all the birds that poop in my yard too. I don't even feed the birds and they still love my yard.

On second thought, I think you should comb the yard and make sure you post pics:p:D

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
On second thought, I think you should comb the yard and make sure you post pics:p:D

:p

I just LOVE bunnies, even briefly considered adopting one, but I have cats and too many of them. Need to watch my budget.
I do too! I am thrilled to have one take up, what seems to be, permanent residence in my yeard, and am more than happy to plant enough for the both of them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
:p

I do too! I am thrilled to have one take up, what seems to be, permanent residence in my yeard, and am more than happy to plant enough for the both of them.

I do too. We purposely walk way around them so they won't run off. Then eventually, they realize we aren't coming after them or going to bother them and they stop running. I would love to have a whole yard filled with them.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I do too. We purposely walk way around them so they won't run off. Then eventually, they realize we aren't coming after them or going to bother them and they stop running. I would love to have a whole yard filled with them.
I do the same thing! My son and I sat there, nearly motionless for a good 30 minutes until he hopped off, and during that time he got increasingly comfortable and almost bold! The rest of the time we were outside we kept hoping he would come back.
Here, we mainly eat them.
:eek:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I do the same thing! My son and I sat there, nearly motionless for a good 30 minutes until he hopped off, and during that time he got increasingly comfortable and almost bold! The rest of the time we were outside we kept hoping he would come back.

:eek:
I know, different culture and all that.
It rather shocked me too, the first time we saw rabbits in peoples garden's and on terraces and they'd say"oh, do you like our pets?".
Everyone would play with them and say how cute they were and then you'd go back in a week, have dinner and say "How are your rabbits?".
And they would look meaningfully at the meat dish.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I know, different culture and all that.
It rather shocked me too, the first time we saw rabbits in peoples garden's and on terraces and they'd say"oh, do you like our pets?".
Everyone would play with them and say how cute they were and then you'd go back in a week, have dinner and say "How are your rabbits?".
And they would look meaningfully at the meat dish.
I live in Minnesota, and hunting (of pretty much anything) is a huge deal here, It's just not my thing. I prefer my critters running through the yard and being adorable, not on my plate.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I live in Minnesota, and hunting (of pretty much anything) is a huge deal here, It's just not my thing. I prefer my critters running through the yard and being adorable, not on my plate.
Me too, but I'm afraid I have succumbed to the culture here.
We don't cook them at my place, but i'm happy to eat pigeon, hedgehog, rabbit, wild boar, etc when i'm offered it.
The poor people here can't afford lamb or beef except on special occasions and it would be churlish to refuse.
I don't object to the killing of non-endangered species for food, just not for entertainment.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I don't object to the killing of non-endangered species for food, just not for entertainment.
That sums up my feelings on the matter. Venison in particular is a pretty common offering around here, and I have gone so far as to help in the preparation at gatherings, but I have never even been able to bring myself to try it. Too many wonderful close encounters with beautiful deer in my life, I guess. Well, except the buck that dove in front of my car that one time...not a huge fan of his.:p
I'm not a vegetarian, but I do tend to eat more vegetarian meals than meat based ones.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
That sums up my feelings on the matter. Venison in particular is a pretty common offering around here, and I have gone so far as to help in the preparation at gatherings, but I have never even been able to bring myself to try it. Too many wonderful close encounters with beautiful deer in my life, I guess. Well, except the buck that dove in front of my car that one time...not a huge fan of his.:p
I'm not a vegetarian, but I do tend to eat more vegetarian meals than meat based ones.
Tricky here, if you say you're a vegetarian they will give you extra meat!
They think you're poor and can't afford to buy it. It doesn't exist otherwise.
And I rather love venison.
And wild deer too.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Interesting. It's a bit different here. Being vegetarian is not as uncommon as it once was, but the actual vegetarians and vegans I know still run into a lot of silly questions and even arguments about their choices, particularly with the huge number of hunters in the state. "what do you mean you won't eat venison? Try this and you'll change your mind!" As if it's a challenge? It's weird to me. I mean, I don't try to make people eat black bean veggie burgers no matter how delicious I think they are! (but they really should ;) )

And wild deer too.
All the venison here is wild, I don't know of any companies in the state that raise deer for food. If you want it you have to go get it, or know someone who will.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
And wild deer too.

Venison is deer (wild) and or captive and raised.
I would never kill an animal. I hit a wood chuck with my car a couple years ago and cried so hard, I had to pull over. I just don't handle it well at all. I don't like hunting, but the men in my family do. I tolerate it as long as I don't have to see it and you eat what you kill.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Interesting. It's a bit different here. Being vegetarian is not as uncommon as it once was, but the actual vegetarians and vegans I know still run into a lot of silly questions and even arguments about their choices, particularly with the huge number of hunters in the state. "what do you mean you won't eat venison? Try this and you'll change your mind!" As if it's a challenge? It's weird to me. I mean, I don't try to make people eat black bean veggie burgers no matter how delicious I think they are! (but they really should ;) )

All the venison here is wild, I don't know of any companies in the state that raise deer for food. If you want it you have to go get it, or know someone who will.
I certainly have no problem with veggie food either.
Or vegetarians or vegans either.
I tried being a veggie thirty odd years ago, 'cos a girl I fancied wouldn't kiss me if I ate meat.
lasted a couple of weeks, but then the bacon sarnies did for me.
Oh, well.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I would never kill an animal.
I honestly don't think I could even in a desperate situation, fortunately I know a lot about wild plants and i'm sure I could find something to munch on :)
I certainly have no problem with veggie food either.
Or vegetarians or vegans either.
I tried being a veggie thirty odd years ago, 'cos a girl I fancied wouldn't kiss me if I ate meat.
lasted a couple of weeks, but then the bacon sarnies did for me.
Oh, well.
Bacon is the main reason I could never go all the way to the green side. Oh...how I love bacon.
Sorry piggies. If you can stop being so delicious and I will reconsider.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Good topic, I am a rabbit person ! I have had as many as 26 rabbits at one time. That was 3 generations. We've had long hair, short hair, rabbits registered with the ARBA, best of breed & mutt rabbits. About the rabbit poos, my dogs used to love to eat if they could find one. I later fenced off part of the yard for my little animals.
The dogs never got sick, but then again your yard rabbits are wild.
Were I live there are no wild rabbits running around.
I had just 1 senior rabbit but 2 weeks ago my husband came home from the park & someone had abandoned a rabbit in the park restroom. So, of course he brought him home & he is now named Lucky. So we have 2 now. I havent eaten rabbit. Doubt I ever will.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Good topic, I am a rabbit person ! I have had as many as 26 rabbits at one time.
Oh how fun! I have never officially had a "pet" rabbit, but I have rescued and rehabbed dozens throughout my lifetime thanks to run-ins with cats and after storms and such. Just the funniest little beasts!

About the rabbit poos, my dogs used to love to eat if they could find one. I later fenced off part of the yard for my little animals.
The dogs never got sick, but then again your yard rabbits are wild.
The way I figure it, Odin is eating wild also, and they are sharing the same restaurant, so as long as the resident rabbit continues to look so marvelously healthy (and he is indeed one of the most robust and healthiest looking wild rabbits I have ever seen) I won't worry about an errant nibble of bunny poop.
I just hope the neighborhood cats and coyotes don't find his hidey hole. :eek: