Non-tort turds / Odin's gardening assistant

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My wife and I nursed a little bunny back to health and released him. She found him at work. A cat was walking around with him hanging out of its mouth.
The funny thing I'll never forget was that he would NEVER, EVER let us see him move or eat. He froze whenever someone would get near him.
We would put food inside and he wouldn't move. Two minutes later, the food was gone and he'd be nearby. Frozen again.
We tried several times in three months to catch him in the act and couldn't.
It was and is my favorite rescue.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
The funny thing I'll never forget was that he would NEVER, EVER let us see him move or eat.
Ha! That is the same reason I always found them so funny!
As a child and young person we went through it nearly every year. We had indoor/outdoor cats growing up and every spring they would find the nests and each night, one by one, they would try to pick the babies off. So, every spring evening we were on alert because we knew we would be awoken to the screaming of the bunnies which meant myself, my Mom and my three younger sisters would dash out into the dark, in our long nightgowns, and chase the cats to rescue the bunnies. We usually succeeded too! I'm sure the neighbors thought we were wiccan mad-women worshiping our pagan rabbit-god by shrieking obscenities into the night, but it never stopped us.
We saved dozens over the years, but it was rare to ever see one move if they knew we were there. :)
It was and is my favorite rescue.
As much as I loved the bunny rescues, I think the squirrels are my favorite, now those little buggers are funny! We had one that lived with us through the winter after a rescue and after we released him in the spring he would continue to visit and allow us to hand feed him for years.

Like I said, I wonder what the neighbors thought......

Ariza

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
I certainly have no problem with veggie food either.
Or vegetarians or vegans either.
I tried being a veggie thirty odd years ago, 'cos a girl I fancied wouldn't kiss me if I ate meat.
lasted a couple of weeks, but then the bacon sarnies did for me.
Oh, well.
I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian since Nov 1984. What I miss the most is bacon and sausage. Fortunately, Morningstar makes imitations with soy and that satisfies my occassional cravings. I'm a veggie 80% for the animals and 20% for the health of it.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian since Nov 1984. What I miss the most is bacon and sausage. Fortunately, Morningstar makes imitations with soy and that satisfies my occassional cravings. I'm a veggie 80% for the animals and 20% for the health of it.
Trouble is that none of these products at all are available in Morocco.

Ariza

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Trouble is that none of these products at all are available in Morocco.
Just curious, are you an ex-pat living in Morocco? How did you end up there? Apologies to OdinsGma for getting off subject.

Since they eat everything there, aren't you afraid they'll steal and eat your tort? I'm Italian but lived elsewhere for most of my life and my mom used to say that some poor people there even ate cats. I'd like to say ''how horrible!" since I love cats, but ALL animals have feelings and suffer, including the cows, pigs, lambs, and chickens that are considered ''staple'' meats.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Just curious, are you an ex-pat living in Morocco? How did you end up there? Apologies to OdinsGma for getting off subject.

Since they eat everything there, aren't you afraid they'll steal and eat your tort? I'm Italian but lived elsewhere for most of my life and my mom used to say that some poor people there even ate cats. I'd like to say ''how horrible!" since I love cats, but ALL animals have feelings and suffer, including the cows, pigs, lambs, and chickens that are considered ''staple'' meats.
Apologies for a brief hijacking.
Yes, British ex-pat, I like living abroad, this is a great, cheap, beautiful, friendly, hot place, and where i've been happy for 10 years now.
They don't eat cat's or dogs here, though they treat them terribly.
My tort is always watched and everyone knows me around here.
She's safe.
And you're right, all animals do have feelings.
I love Italy.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Oh no, carry on. I love an interesting hijacking!

So, are torts really a menu item in some places? I thought it was just turtles?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Some countries in Asia eat them, European sailors used to eat the giants of course, some guy in Florida ate 15 last year, and Chines tourists eat them in Zimbabwe apparently.
I've heard they eat them in the countryside here sometimes, but I've never witnessed it or seen any evidence.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Some countries in Asia eat them, European sailors used to eat the giants of course, some guy in Florida ate 15 last year, and Chines tourists eat them in Zimbabwe apparently.
I've heard they eat them in the countryside here sometimes, but I've never witnessed it or seen any evidence.
Well, if Odin and I ever decide to take a trip around the world I will make sure to cross those areas off the list.

Ariza

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
http://www.testudines.org/en/others/appendixes/appendix/9836
I have no idea what they can possibly eat. The insides don't look very appetizing (even to a meat eater). See internal organs photo in article.

I've read that since torts don't have to eat for a long time, sailors used to store them upside down on top of each other and they could have fresh meats for months. I can't imagine the torture for those poor animals since being flipped puts a lot of pressure on their lungs.