Non toxic large ornamental yard grasses

Skip K

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Our self propelled lawn mowers will not allow anything I’ve planted so far to even remotely have a chance of getting established in their outdoor enclosures. I’m looking for suggestions of tall non toxic ornamental yard grasses that optimally will not only provide cover....but maybe are not on their preferred munch menu. I have ornamental grasses in my yard and will enclose pics later for identification...but any suggestions that I can research now would be appreciated.

Skip K

Virginia
Thanks guys! Here are two grasses that are in the yard. Can you identify? Toxicity? Sorry the pics aren’t great...they are beginning the fall die back

F8F3ABB1-FD73-4078-B258-7938FC74B717.jpegC521C3E5-C51B-45C0-8153-0E5BCEC2EA43.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thanks guys! Here are two grasses that are in the yard. Can you identify? Toxicity? Sorry the pics aren’t great...they are beginning the fall die back

The one on the right is pampas grass like Yvonne said. Our Sully has been in, over & around. It’s pretty coarse as you know, our Sully never really touches it. I’m sure the other is fine too.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
The first one appears to be Arundo donax (giant reed) and the second is pennisetum (fountain grass). The tortoise table says the fountain grass is good, but not the reed.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
The first one appears to be Arundo donax (giant reed) and the second is pennisetum (fountain grass). The tortoise table says the fountain grass is good, but not the reed.

I think i always call our “fountain grass“ as pampas grass. Long fronds that put up fuzzy white seed heads. Either way, our sully just bull dozes around the bass where the grasses are hard and bristly. Never stops to sample. Prefers nice green weeds & grass over these coarser ornamentals.

Skip K

Virginia
Thanks for the replies. I looked up the fountain grass and that is spot on in what it looks like ( tall with the fronds). The second grass I can’t find a match online with reed grass. This grass (variegated) doesn’t grow very high ( maybe 1 1/2 ft )

Skip K

Virginia
Here is a better pic of its top height. Lariope and baseball for scale

Attachments

• 033CC17A-2D50-40C3-87ED-38629A015D02.jpeg
    033CC17A-2D50-40C3-87ED-38629A015D02.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 19

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Thanks for the replies. I looked up the fountain grass and that is spot on in what it looks like ( tall with the fronds). The second grass I can’t find a match online with reed grass. This grass (variegated) doesn’t grow very high ( maybe 1 1/2 ft )
Is it like this?

Skip K

Virginia

Skip K

Virginia
Thanks,Jennifer! That looks like a winner. But can’t find if it’s toxic to torts.

Skip K

Virginia
It is considered mildly toxic to mammals, but I'm not sure about reptiles.
That’s what I found, Jennifer. Doesn’t do us tort keepers much good if the only info is that it “might” give a “dog” a tummy ache