noob question about substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_K

5 Year Member
i was thinking about getting a tortoise and i was thinking about using some cypress mulch for substrate and i was wondering how often do you guys change it out or do you ever change it out?

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
It all depends on the how dirty it gets and if it gets dirty or some other problems come up like mites and what not. I've only change mine once due to mites. But I also try to keep it clean in their enclosure by picking up loose foods or poop and such and there's no smell so its fine.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
There are experienced keepers here who use the same substrate for several years. All they do is stir it up occasionally. Some Sun their substrate, some put them in the oven, some soak them in boiling hot water. Really depends on how dirty it gets. Spot pick everyday n it shdnt really be a problem. I use dirt n compost n i believe that I'll probably nv need to change it anytime soon.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum :) What kind of tort are you thinking of getting?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi "The_K":

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

I usually only have tortoises on substrate over the winter. The rest of the time all my animals are outside. The substrate lasts all winter without me having to change it. I use orchid bark or cypress mulch. I spot clean every day.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I've used the current batch of mulch since October or earlier and probably will not change it until I do my 'spring cleaning' of the place. Otherwise, I would change it if it smelled funny.

the_K

5 Year Member
my name is Kae but pronounced like "K" and i live in Arizona and a lot of people around hear are selling Sulcata Tortoises so i was thinking of getting one. i know they get real big and im ready to take care of it once it gets big but im planning on getting a small one to start out with. also how do you guy prepare your substrate? or do you just toss it in just the way it is?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I soak my tortoises everyday and they usually defecate in the water. As a result they never poop on their substrate and I never need to clean or replace it. I just remove any uneaten food scraps and keep it damp by adding water as needed.

Be very careful who you buy one from. Lots of people breed and sell them but very few breeders start them the right way. The end result is a lovely baby tortoise that will die in a few months even though you've done everything "right". If the babies are housed on rabbit pellets with no water bowl or hiding spots and "soaked a couple of times a week", RUN the other way!

Here is a care sheet for babies. This is totally different than what is "out there". Most info on the internet and in books is outdated or just plain wrong.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies

Here are two different sellers that start them "right":
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/
http://ivorytortoise.com/
KBaker here on the forum has some babies right now too. PM him to see if any are left.

Tortoises can live over 100 years. I strongly recommend you buy one from a good source. The damage done when they are tiny cannot be undone and the difference in price will not matter in a few months, much less a few decades. The price will also not matter if your baby dies in a few months. It is heartbreaking, and we see it all the time here. If you can find a yearling, they are well worth the extra money as by that size/age they are pretty hardy and you know they are going to survive.

the_K

5 Year Member
thanks for the sites. they are very helpful thank you. ill be sure to get a nice healthy tortoise and keep them hydrated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
the_K said:
my name is Kae but pronounced like "K" and i live in Arizona

Oh, like "The Donald!!!" :D

Hi K! I usually will put my substrate in the habitat, then pour a pitcher of water over it and mix it all around with my hand. I use cypress mulch or orchid bark.

Status
Not open for further replies.