Noob question on selecting very first tortoise for me and my daughters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cksnffr

5 Year Member
Hi all! I live in Boulder, Colorado. I've been building an enclosure in my backyard in anticipation of my family's first-ever tortoise. We will also put a turtle table in my daughters' room. (The yard enclosure will be 4x16 feet, and the indoor table will be 2x6 feet unless I need to make it wider.)

It's pretty dry in Colorado (probably averaging 40%--more than Arizona but certainly not coastal). So even though I really like Redfoots, I've just about ruled them out because I am looking for a good first-timer tortoise.

Having ruled out Redfoots, and looking for a hardy, easy keeper, I'm looking at Russians, Hermanns, and Marginateds. Russians and Hermanns seem nearly identical in terms of their needs, temperament, and size. Are there any predictable differences between Russians and Hermanns? Marginateds seem to have similar needs and temperaments but get a bit bigger. Apart from size, are there any other differences between Marginateds and their mediterranean cousins?

Last but not least, I've been leaning toward an adult tortoise because I don't think I'm ready to raise a baby. But I've seen quite a few "yearling" tortoises advertised. Are yearlings closer to babies or adults in terms of their needs and difficulty in keeping?

Thanks for all your help, and I'll be sure to keep you posted on what we do!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I'd go with a Russian. However, if you don't allow it to hibernate, your indoor table seems a bit small for a Russian.

It is a very hardy tortoise and quite forgiving of the mistakes made by beginner keepers. I think you are wise in getting an adult tortoise rather than a hatchling.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
A yearling is much closer to a baby than an adult. I would also go with a Russian, because they are more tolerant of mistakes. I would make your indoor enclosure a little bigger. Russians are also more tolerant of cold weather, actually they prefer a little bit colder of weather than the others you mentioned. If you have any other questions please ask them. :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I think you're smart to start with a slightly older tortoise, no matter how cute the hatchlings are. I got a 4.5 inch long Hermann's for my first tort and am very glad I did. At that size she's 3-4 years old and well past the fragile hatchling stage, but she will still grow: about double in size. She has adapted to us quickly (that's 2-3 months) and comes to us looking for treats!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think any of the above mentioned Testudo will work great for you. You should be fine with a yearling. Its those first few weeks that are so critical. After a year or more, you should not have any issues as long as your set up is decent.

Of the three you mentioned, I find russians to be the boldest, but ugliest. I find hermanni to be the prettiest and pretty darn personable in most cases too. Marginated are also pretty, but some of them are not as outgoing as some of the other two species. Every tortoise is an individual and with time and patience most of them can be desensitized to human activity and taught to seek your company. The russians and hermanni just seem to lend themselves to it a bit better most of the time.

I agree with Yvonne about your indoor enclosure size. 2x4' will be okay for a small yearling, but bigger will be better for any species. I like to make 4x8' enclosures for indoors since most lumber and plywood comes in 8' lengths. Just makes it easy and seamless. Your outdoor enclosure is big enough, but even bigger would be even better. Russians especially are big time roamers, not that marginateds or hermanns won't use the extra space too.

Hello. Welcome. And please keep us posted. :)

Cksnffr

5 Year Member
Thanks, everyone. Nobody tried to convince me that a Redfoot would be just fine for me; should I infer that I really should stick to a Testudo because of climate and my inexperience?

Let's say I go with a Russian or Hermann's. Is there a reason, apart from the slight size differences, to choose a male or female?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Is your heart really wanting a redfoot? If so, then go for it. The issue comes in that you will certainly need a bigger indoor enclosure for it when it starts growing. Actually a cherryhead/redfooted would have been my choice. :cool: :D So other then the indoor enclosure, I think you would have no issues with a redfoot/cherry as they are pretty much equal in degree of care as the others you mentioned.

As to the male VS female debate... other then a small size difference, many males will end up flashing or mounting anything they come across (shoe, log, hide, ect). A female will sometimes (not real common) have egg issues even if never around a male. This may be laying infertile eggs or holding them within their bodies which is a health risk.

Cksnffr

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
So other then the indoor enclosure, I think you would have no issues with a redfoot/cherry as they are pretty much equal in degree of care as the others you mentioned.

Are you sure? I was so convinced that a Redfoot is an "intermediate" tortoise--especially in dry Colorado--while the Russians and Hermanns are "starter" tortoises. I guess the reason I've seen most often is that Redfoots require a humid environment that you need to carefully create, whereas a Testudo's environment can be of room-humidity, except for perhaps a humid hide.

I've actually sketched out an 8" line and a 12" line on my desk to visually compare the adult sizes of the two. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The line thing is something I have suggested to folks in the past, if they can't find an actual adult whatever to see what that size really means. Creating humidity just takes a bit more work, but if you really want in your heart that kind of tortoise, I never think a person is really happy with the substitute. I like redfoot/cherryheads because I don't have to worry quite so much about the high light demands, no hibernation/burmation/winter time slow down issues, and I like the diet which contains a bit of everything, not just greens/weeds. Not to mention I love the color that Cherryheads normally are. :D (and to be honest I have redfoot/cherryheads, Russians, GReek, and Hermanni ;) :D )

Is Colorado that much drier then Nebraska?

Cksnffr

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Is Colorado that much drier then Nebraska?

It's probably about the same--humidity about 60% in the early morning and about 35% in dry afternoons.

The difference between 8" and 12" (adult Hermanns and adult Redfoot) is pretty big. I'm not sure if it's the difference between an indoor enclosure that can fit in a normal bedroom and and indoor enclosure that basically dominates a room. Maybe that's the question to ask when looking at redfoots or Testudos.

Status
Not open for further replies.