Noobie product questions for DT's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stitch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Corona ,CA
Pet stores know less than this noobie?

Looking to get my Desert Tort's ready for the winter, bringing them inside and keeping them awake. So decided to swing by the local pet shop. Not sure that was a good idea ... He acted like he knew everything about Desert Torts, but then asked me what kind of Desert Torts they were. He also made it like any kind of sustrate will be good (that they sell) and that they really dont need light in the winter inside, just the ceramic heat. He said DT's dont need UV light in winter anyway... needless to say I didnt buy anything. hahaha.

1.) I have a few more noobie questions though if you all dont mind:
I just brought these guys inside but I'm afraid I only have a aquarium that is 1'x1'x30" and am thinking this might not be big enought for the winter?

2.) Substrate. I work at home Depot and read on this site that someone used a 50/50 mix of organtic soil and play sand. But I wasn't sure if that was for DT's or not? I am on a budget so it seems a good bang for the buck. I also heard a little hay in it would be good?

3.) Lights and heat. Depot sells flouresents plant and aquarium bulbs but from reading it looks like UV blubs are the way to go, even in winter I'm guessing? And a heat bulb or ceramic heat in addition?

Thats it for now. Thanks for your time!

Stitch :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since you work at the Depot, buy a cement mixing tub. They're not very expensive. But while your shopping, take a look at the largest Sterilite or Rubbermaid tub and compare the price with the cement mixing tub. If it were closer to Christmas, you could buy a Christmas Tree Storage tub. Here's what that looks like (I borrowed this picture from Terry-o):

Terry-o.jpg

Any of these would be better than an aquarium for a little desert tortoise.

See if your store carries cypress mulch. Its a personal choice, but I like it better than the sand/coir or sand/soil mixtures.

I don't use the UV lights because most of my animals get some sunshine, but we have talked about the best UV light here on the forum. You can do a "search" and find what would be best for you. Then a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) would keep the habitat warm in the night time.

Good luck with bring your babies in the house for the winter. Let us know if you have more questions, or if I didn't answer your questions good enough.

Yvonne

Stitch

5 Year Member
Corona ,CA
That is exactly what I needed right there! I know those huge totes and I am pretty stinkin sure we have cypress mulch. I have the 30" plant flouresent I can use and will look at getting the ceramic heat for the nights, unless they need it 24/7? Room temp in my house is like 65 or 70? I am thinking I can get the new winter home near a window for some sun also. I like the plants in there too! Yvonne I knew you'd chime in and help me out! I hope someday I can do the same for someone else ;) I love tort people! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its very fulfilling to be able to help people and receive such enthusiastic responses back from them. You're very welcome.

One thing to remember about the picture: It is of a Redfoot habitat, and has to be more humid than a DT requires. So you won't need tropical plants, but more on the cactus/succulent side of the nursery!

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.