Normal behavior or a sign of a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rharr21

5 Year Member
I purchased a 4" juvenile sulcata about two weeks ago. I've noticed that it moves its front legs back and forth and bobs its head from time to time. My first thought was, "Oh no, it has a respitory problem!". Now I'm wondering if this is not some type of normal behavior because it doesn't do it all the time. It kind of reminds me of a cameleon mimicing a stick moving in the wind. Should I be worried and take action or is this normal. It has a healthy appetite (I wonder how it can eat so much!). It walks around off and on and moves in and out of the lighted/heated end of its pen as well. The warmest part of the pen is between 95-100 degrees F and the coolest part is 75-80 degrees F. In the evenings when I get home from work I usually garden for an hour or so and I've been letting the tortoise hang out in the yard where it can eat grass (Bermuda mixed with St. Augustine) and get natural indirect or full sunlight.

Housing:
50G Rubbermaid livestock trough
100W UV bulb (off at night) + 75W red heat lamp (always on) at one end
rabbit feed as a substrate
several large rocks
hollow 1/2 log in center of trough

Diet so far:
Ox Bow Salad Style Hay & Zoo Med Natural Grassland Tortoise Food (available all the time) AND once per day I've added fresh Bermuda grass, thornless opuntia pads and rose flowers, all dusted with Fluker's Calcium w/D3 Phosphorous free.

I've also let it soak in warm water for about 15 minutes per day. It drinks water and usually defecates in the water at some point after drinking. I've also been picking poop out of the cage in the mornings.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Both of my Sulcata's do that when they are sleeping, so I agree no worries..

M

Maggie Cummings

That's normal behavior but rabbit pellets will cause something called splay leg. They are very hard to walk on and you can't keep them moist as they mold. You need a substrate like cypress mulch or fine grade orchid bark. Rabbit pellets are not a good substrate at all. You want a moist substrate creating 80% humidity to help prevent pyramiding. Please change out the pellets...

Here's a link to a care sheet that may help you with some of your questions...

http://africantortoise.com/

Please continue to ask questions here, but I thought this care sheet might help you...

Status
Not open for further replies.