Normal shell growth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
Hey there, was measuring Echo today (3.23 inches) and checking her shell over when I saw a more noticeable scute. Is she still considered a baby (what other word?) at this point? I was wondering if it was a normal developing one for her age (we were told she was about 6 months when we got her so now she's approx. 9 months.)

image-2253007329.png

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I call them babies for the first year. Then yearlings for the next year. Then juveniles. Sub adult. Adult.

What do you mean by "a more noticeable scute"?

She's pyramiding a bit. Are you doing soaks, shell spraying, humid hide, water bowl, covered top, etc...?

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Ok good, I knew someone had the breakdown of terms & ages in a thread, never found it.

I posted a picture a few days ago of a side by side, wondering if her pyramiding had stopped, here's the shot:

image-205737415.png

What do you think? The left shot is her at the store, the right is her this week/last week.
I noticed the scute above her tail is different to the others, is that normal?

Sorry, forgot to answer you, yes to all of those questions. I also have a humidifier piped into her enclosure too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The scute above her tail looks normal to me. I see one growth line in there that is at less of an angle then the older ones. That is a good indicator, but time will tell. Keep wetting that shell. :)

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
You're opinion means a lot, thanks for weighing in! She just got done taking a 20 minute warm soak and yes, I put some on her shell, which she was P.O'ed about. Fingers crossed she starts smoothing out, been reading late at night, early in the morning, at dinner, on the toilet (too much info) and all over town. I said before, I think having a tortoise has made me more paranoid than having a daughter! Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.