Normal tortoise behaviour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
Today I decided to let both my Raidated's graze together in the garden for the first time. The Radiated I got from before kept chasing around the one I got recently and when the new one stopped, it would than raise it's body high(I guess to show it's dominance?) and the other Radiated(from before) would just walk around it in circles and at many times smelling it's legs or underneath. I was only afraid it would nip my new Radiated but it would not leave it alone. It's nose would go touching the new Radiated's feet like it was smelling it. Anyone encounter this behaviour before?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
I have many radiateds, from one year to sub adults, and have never seen that behavior in ours. Are they both male? The raising up thing I would also think it was some sort of a dominance thing.

samstar

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:
I have many radiateds, from one year to sub adults, and have never seen that behavior in ours. Are they both male? The raising up thing I would also think it was some sort of a dominance thing.

Cant really tell if they are males as they are still only about 4.5-5". However both their plastrons are flat and tails not long.

Badgemash

5 Year Member
I haven't seen the body raising behavior, but when we first introduced the 2 GPPs into the group there was a lot of foot sniffing. I have no idea what it means or why they do it (they still do occasionally), but it never progressed into anything else like nipping. My leopards do seem to have a pretty good sense of smell, perhaps they're recognizing each other by scent?

-Devon

samstar

5 Year Member
Badgemash said:
I haven't seen the body raising behavior, but when we first introduced the 2 GPPs into the group there was a lot of foot sniffing. I have no idea what it means or why they do it (they still do occasionally), but it never progressed into anything else like nipping. My leopards do seem to have a pretty good sense of smell, perhaps they're recognizing each other by scent?

-Devon

Excatly what it did, foot sniffing.

samstar

5 Year Member
ISTortoiseLover said:
hmmm sniffing.. you got yourself a tortdog there Sam. hahaha

hahaha I've already got myself a dog that gives me enough headache

Status
Not open for further replies.