Northern Ibera Greeks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

conservation

10 Year Member!
I have been trying to add to my pair of Northern s for a long time. When was the last time they were imported?

I remember many years these were super available. I would love to see some pictures of yours!

This is my male. I have had him for 8-10 years.

Attachments

• 1368344101784.jpg
    1368344101784.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 109

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
As far as I know Northern Ibera haven't been imported since around the late 90's. There have been several from the mid range and southern populations imported. Many of the Middle Eastern Greeks that have been imported over the last 10 years have southern Ibera mixed in with them. It's difficult to find "pure" Northern Ibera captive borns in the U.S. because some people just consider Ibera as Ibera and choose not to keep those from different regions, with different characteristics seperate. That is unfortunate!

conservation

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the information. How many Northerns do you have? Do you hibernate them outdoors?

prc93

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I've been told my tort is a Northern Ibera as well, although I feel he may be a little mixed. I've had him for about ten years. He came from a pet store so I have no idea what his actual background is, but it sounds like I got him during the height of northerns being imported.

Attachments

• Apollo.jpg
    Apollo.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0845.jpg
    IMG_0845.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0848.jpg
    IMG_0848.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 71

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
prc93 said:
I've been told my tort is a Northern Ibera as well, although I feel he may be a little mixed. I've had him for about ten years. He came from a pet store so I have no idea what his actual background is, but it sounds like I got him during the height of northerns being imported.

The photos show up a bit blurry but, your tortoise is definitely a Greek, not positive that it's an Ibera, but definitely not a Northern Ibera.

How big is he (straight carapace length)? Can you post a photo of the plastron?

prc93

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Hey GBTortoises, you actually did already comment on a previous post I had asking for identification, I've changed my username since then. You said the following:

"Your tortoise is definitely a Greek tortoise and appears to be a Middle range Ibera or Antakyan. Can you post a photo of the plastron? There is no way to determine if your tortoise has good weight for it's size based on the photos. The same goes for it's gender, there is no way of knowing for certain without seeing the plastron. From above, it appears to have more of a female shape, but that may not be the case."

I actually got mixed up, I'd been doing research on getting a new tortoise and was reading a lot about northern Ibera but your identification seemed to be correct. The last thread kind of died, but you were asking about plastron there as well. I'll pot a picture below. I measured about 6 inches straight from end to end of shell.

Also, Pets101, sorry to hijack your post but have you contacted CGKeith? He breeds a couple fo different subspecies of Greek and may have some northerns if you are interested in adding to your group.

Attachments

• 2013-03-23 22.18.22.jpg
    2013-03-23 22.18.22.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 33
Status
Not open for further replies.