Northumberland Sulcata laying eggs … advice please….

Helen Ruff

Location (City and/or State)
Alnwick
Hi, living in the north of England … my Sulcata laid some eggs today and I’m asking for a bit of guidance as to what to do.
Should I dig them up and carefully attempt to incubate them ? I have all the gear but doubt that they will be fertile . It’s chilly here and although she buried them I feel they will have a better chance chance at correct steady temps indoors. I’m familiar with candling eggs etc but it’s a very exciting time for me so want to do everything possible to sustain potential life .

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If she hasn't been mated with a male then the eggs won't be fertilised, but like chickens they will still lay eggs.
If she has been bred with a male then you could try to incubate them - they will probably stand more chance of hatching that way in our climate. There are threads about how to do it. This is Tom's guide

Reactions: Tom

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Make sure you don't rotate the eggs if they are fertile. I heard that will mess the babies up. ( please correct me if I am wrong. ). Also. @Tom can help direct you on what to do if they're fertile.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, living in the north of England … my Sulcata laid some eggs today and I’m asking for a bit of guidance as to what to do.
Should I dig them up and carefully attempt to incubate them ? I have all the gear but doubt that they will be fertile . It’s chilly here and although she buried them I feel they will have a better chance chance at correct steady temps indoors. I’m familiar with candling eggs etc but it’s a very exciting time for me so want to do everything possible to sustain potential life .
Sulcatas eggs are pretty easy. They can tolerate a lot, and still be fine. Cold before incubation, and even during incubation, doesn't seem to bother them at all. Just follow the instructions in the thread from Lyn and if they are fertile, you should get babies.

Questions are welcome too! :)

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Sulcatas eggs are pretty easy. They can tolerate a lot, and still be fine. Cold doesn't seem to bother them at all. Just follow the instructions in the thread from Lyn and if they are fertile, you should get babies.

Questions are welcome too! :)
If the eggs are rotated does that mess them up?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If the eggs are rotated does that mess them up?
It can, at some point, after development has begun. I've heard 24-48 hours won't hurt anything, and if the eggs were laid in winter in cold ground and have not begun to develop yet, it doesn't seem to be a problem to rotate them then either. It is a good practice in general to not let eggs rotate ever, but there seems to be some leeway early on.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
It can, at some point, after development has begun. I've heard 24-48 hours won't hurt anything, and if the eggs were laid in winter in cold ground and have not begun to develop yet, it doesn't seem to be a problem to rotate them then either. It is a good practice in general to not let eggs rotate ever, but there seems to be some leeway early on.
I have dug up Box Turtles and Red-eared eggs before to incubate then in the house, just be careful digging them up. When you come to an egg and before moving it put a dot on the top of the egg with a pencil or sharpie. Alway keeping the dot on the egg in the same position when moving it. Good luck!

Attachments

• 20180920_141412.jpg
    20180920_141412.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 20180924_121412.jpg
    20180924_121412.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13

Helen Ruff

Alnwick
If she hasn't been mated with a male then the eggs won't be fertilised, but like chickens they will still lay eggs.
If she has been bred with a male then you could try to incubate them - they will probably stand more chance of hatching that way in our climate. There are threads about how to do it. This is Tom's guide
Hi Lyn, many thanks for your response…. She’s been with my Sulcata male for about 6 months but I’ve never seen any “ interest’” However she was kept with another male for several years before I bought her and transferred her up to Northumberland where I live. From research ( only via Google) it seems that they can keep sperm inside for a considerable period …. 1 to 3 years ?? I’ve had her for around 14 months.
I only have 6 eggs and intend to candle them over the Easter weekend. Fingers crossed it will be lovely if they are fertile ! I’ve hatched lots over the last 30 years, Guinea fowl, peafowl, chickens, quail, ducks and geese…. I’ll be totally made up if they are fertile . I’ll try and post a video of her laying …. However I’m a bit of a computer Luddite!….love my torts … a difficult winter in the Uk has been challenging but roll on the warmer weather !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
From research ( only via Google) it seems that they can keep sperm inside for a considerable period …. 1 to 3 years ?
Some species, like leopards can hold sperm and make fertile eggs for 5 years. Sulcatas, on the other hand, can only store it for a few months and fertility drops off quickly. They can make a clutch or two, but after a few months fertility will be near zero without more breeding taking place.

Helen Ruff

Alnwick
Thanks so much Tom ! … I’ll post once I’ve candled … however I’m fairly sure they’ll be infertile. This forum is so helpful and informative.