Nose discharge tortoise and a swollen eye.

Yasminemohamed91

Location (City and/or State)
Cairo
A week ago, I noticed some occasional discharge from my tortoise and gave him warm baths and kept him warm under his lamp until I book a vet appointment.

The first day they couldn't get the swab and the tortoise was in panic so I had him walk in the garden outside the clinic but when I woke up I saw that one eye got swollen. There was something in that garden that caused this.

The following day, we tried again and they took a swab of his mouth and the results will be out in another 4 days. They told me to soak him in warm baths and put Terramycin eye ointment for his eye two times a day.

Since the eye infection and the stress of those two days, he stopped eating and starting to sleep a lot. The discharges increased significantly. Before all this, with the nose discharge, he was hyper and eating well.

I'm worried sick and don't know what else to do. How long does it take for the eye to heal? heal?

I also noticed some bruising on his ears from when they held his head. Should this be another concern?

IMG_20220731_232748.jpgIMG_20220731_064121.jpgIMG_20220731_232811.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220731_232755.jpg
    IMG_20220731_232755.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
A week ago, I noticed some occasional discharge from my tortoise and gave him warm baths and kept him warm under his lamp until I book a vet appointment.

The first day they couldn't get the swab and the tortoise was in panic so I had him walk in the garden outside the clinic but when I woke up I saw that one eye got swollen. There was something in that garden that caused this.

The following day, we tried again and they took a swab of his mouth and the results will be out in another 4 days. They told me to soak him in warm baths and put Terramycin eye ointment for his eye two times a day.

Since the eye infection and the stress of those two days, he stopped eating and starting to sleep a lot. The discharges increased significantly. Before all this, with the nose discharge, he was hyper and eating well.

I'm worried sick and don't know what else to do. How long does it take for the eye to heal? heal?

I also noticed some bruising on his ears from when they held his head. Should this be another concern?

View attachment 348185View attachment 348186View attachment 348188
Sounds like a respiratory infection. The key is heat. Keep it warm as possible with areas to retreat from the heat. As far as the eye, you could use fish oil tablets to treat it. Just a few drops to the eye. There is also a product by zoomed made for treating eye infections called turtle eye drops.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes keep the enclosure at 85 all over day and night but keep the basking spot at normal 95-100.
I would not let them hold his head at the ears again. Behind the head, they should know better if they knew what they were doing.
@Yvonne G

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
I have had hatchling sulcatas with respiratory infections caused by letting them get chilled. My reptile Veterinarian diagnosed respiratory infection from visual examination of nasal secretions. She treated it with Baytril injections once every 72 hours with a total of three injections. I saw remarkable relief after the first dose. And the torts totally recovered

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There has been some sort of injury to that eye, or maybe he has some speck of dirt or something in it. Get some soothing eye ointment and dab a bit on the eye daily. You can just buy something over the counter made for humans. Rub it on the eye with a Q-tip.

Yasminemohamed91

Cairo
There has been some sort of injury to that eye, or maybe he has some speck of dirt or something in it. Get some soothing eye ointment and dab a bit on the eye daily. You can just buy something over the counter made for humans. Rub it on the eye with a Q-tip.
The vet told me to put Terramycin eye ointment two times a day. Since my tortoise squirms from the touch of the q-tip, I'd softly use my pinky finger. Should I try cooled tea bags before putting the ointment?

Yasminemohamed91

Cairo
I have had hatchling sulcatas with respiratory infections caused by letting them get chilled. My reptile Veterinarian diagnosed respiratory infection from visual examination of nasal secretions. She treated it with Baytril injections once every 72 hours with a total of three injections. I saw remarkable relief after the first dose. And the torts totally recovered
I hope the symptoms will improve after he gets his first dose. The doctor told me recovery is as slow as then getting sick. I'm an emotional mess just seeing him like this so I hope he'll have a speedy recovery.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am so sorry for your tortoise and for you going through this stress. All the best for a quick recovery.