Not a tortoise... Wood Turtle Eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruby's Mom

5 Year Member
Earlier this week at work, my boss had been out back clearing away some weeds and discovered a female wood turtle digging a nest close to the creek that flows behind the shop. Since the creek has a nasty habit of flooding, my boss waited until mommy had lain her eggs and moved away, and then carefully placed the eggs in vermiculite as we do with our snake and bearded dragon eggs and then placed them in one of our incubators.

It was then my task to make sure the temp and humidity was correct as it is not the same for the snakes and lizards. during my research, I came up with a temp for box turtles and water turtle eggs of 80 degrees F and a humidity level of 80%.

My boss doesn't seem to agree with these numbers. According to him the original nest would have been much higher. I don't know what he meant other than dampness. He says right now he has it set at 82. 82 what? I haven't checked and I'm not going to because I will not be responsible for damaging a possibly protected animal's young.

I am asking any of our breeders to offer any advice, keep in mind, I'm not a child. I am an adult, and have been for quite some time. I also live in an area where it is illegal to possess baby turtles or any turtle under the size of 4 inches. I believe it had been made a federal law by the FDA which really sucks.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
For many years I kept and bred North American Wood turtles, Eastern, Three-toed and Gulf Coast Box turtles and incubated several hundred eggs during that time with very high hatch rates at 86-88 degrees Fahrenheit and a humidity level in the 80-95% range. I've never heard of incubating any turtle eggs of any species at 80 degrees. They will hatch at lower temperatures in the 83-85 degree range, producing predominately male offspring at those temperatures. Temperatures below that for turtle eggs usually have very poor hatching results.

Ruby's Mom

5 Year Member
Sorry I haven't replied sooner, I wanted to tell you thank you and that I haven't blown you off. I will make sure the temp and humidity stay in the upper ranges you have stated. one more question... How many days? like I said I am used to bearded dragons, pythons, corn snakes and birds.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The 4 inch rule applies to sale of hatchlings, for so called "hygiene" reasons, You can possess baby turtles for personal scientific or educational reasons. Your local laws may be different though.

John

5 Year Member
wood turtles are also endagered/protected in some states, might not wanna be advertising taking them from the wild, depending on where you live

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
What state are you in?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ruby said:
I also live in an area where it is illegal to possess baby turtles or any turtle under the size of 4 inches. I believe it had been made a federal law by the FDA which really sucks.

Hi Jo:

That's not quite right. First of all, its a Federal law, so every state has to comply, but its not illegal to "posess" them, its illegal for a business to sell them.

http://www.tortoise.org/general/4inch.html

Scroll down to section d., 2. This tells you that you can be excepted from the rule if you are not connected to a business, "...(2) The sale, holding for sale, and distribution of live turtles and viable turtle eggs not in connection with a business. "

Ruby's Mom

5 Year Member
We don't plan on selling them. just got them away from a flood prone creek.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?FR=1240.62

and yes I do stand corrected. you can possess them, just not sell them from a business. although that part does get a bit touchy. even if you are not running a business and you have a handful and you decide to sell them to your friends, you are indeed making a profit and one could misinterpret that.

I did not intend my post to launch into a huge debate, as I had stated when I joined the group some time ago, I have a nasty habit of unintentionally sticking my foot in my mouth when I do not mean to. My post was only meant to get temperature and humidity for wood turtle eggs.

I had stated the law sucks and was hoping it would have been left at that.

so again I will disappear for a few months or maybe a year to return and maybe post another question or two and stick my foot in my mouth again.

Status
Not open for further replies.