NOT a WC Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
This little guy is right at 2 years old now.. is 4 1/2" SCL. I think he's growing up right.. he looks smooth to me anyway -

1SONBabyRC.jpg

For the first 6 months of his life he lived off of hibiscus blooms/leaves and dandelions [ and other weeds when available ]. Their container was taken outside during the day to get 'fresh-air'.. they were under cover ( out of the direct sun ) virtually the entire time. I would place them around the greens and sprayed them till they dripped while they ate.. and then off to the ( well moistened ) moss they would crawl into - out of the sun.

1SONBabyFACE.jpg

During the winter months [ Oct. - March ].. their staple diet was collards.. [ leaves from the Tropical hibiscus while they lasted ].. available fruit.. and occasionally yellow squash.. when available. The only weekly "supplement" was the Calcium Carbonate powder that was sprinkled generously on the 're-hydrated' cat food [ first ingredient is chicken ].. which contained D3 - once they were 6 months old. An aquarium/plant light is provided as their light source inside.

The second year they are in a separate enclosure where they can graze on the violets, dandelions, plantain, etc. that grows out there. ( seen in these pics ) Their indoor hide is a plastic 'tub' with doorways cut into them that is also used outside. They seem to graze most when the sun is hidden by the trees which provide shade. "Most" of the time they are hiding in the hide or taller grass, etc. that grows.

1SONBaby.jpg

Even tho' I "start" them using "debatable" care methods - I don't think there's much danger of pyramiding.....

NERD

....wattaya think Tom?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah, give one to me. I'll show you how to grow one pyramided. I'm an expert at it. 20 years experience raising bumpy ones of all sorts.

I'm a rank novice at raising smooth ones. Only about six weeks experience with a single species so far.

Your two year old looks great Terry. What a great example of how a tortoise carapace SHOULD look.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
And guess what Tom?.. this method.. "mist'em-til-they-drip" and feed them what you want worked before too!

The little guy featured in this thread has a sibling from '05 that looked like this at 2 years old -

1SONBro2YRS.jpg

And looked like this May 28th '09 ( at 4 yrs. old and 7+" SCL ) -

1SONBro4YO.jpg

What a coincidence huh? NOT a WC Redfoot!

Tom made me post and say this...........

NERD

Look close and you'll see the "light-lines" and minute space between the scutes.. that's a rapid growth spurt from the plentiful grazing outside this early summer. This is a situation that WILL grow back smooth once their diet is in moderation.. unlike "pyramiding".

Bottom line - pyramiding is from 'rapid-growth' and a dry carapace.. space between the scutes is rapid growth with ample humidity.. which lubricates the scutes so they don't stack(?).

1SONBabyGROWTH.jpg

I believe it's from over-eating after a lean winter diet.

NERD

Status
Not open for further replies.