Not eating and one swollen eye

CalebD

Location (City and/or State)
Wexford
My sulcata tortoise hasn't eaten and sleeps all day and only opened his left eye yesterday and his right eye is swollen I gave him baths daily but I had a coil bulb so could that have caused this? I've gotten rid of the bulbs and he's improved a bit but. There's no reptile vets near me so I can't bring him to the vet.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I am certainly not an expert, but here’s the BEST care sheet from one of our experts. Read it over several times (it contains A LOT of information) and ask as many questions as you need to get things right. You’ll be glad you did.

Good luck!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
Are you in US or Wexford Ireland?
Most of us have to travel to find reptile vets - they are few and far between - but it's worth finding your nearest for emergencies. General vets don't seem have a great knowledge of torts and sometimes do more harm than good with vitamin jabs.

Yes the coiled lamp could definitely have affected his eyes or it could be the substrate you're using, I think you'll probably need some eye ointment which I'll tag a few people about @Yvonne G . @ZenHerper @zovick . You may be able to buy it in a pharmacy depending on what they recommend.
There's one called something like Viscotears gel that some people use but you may need something different so wait until the other members reply.
Meanwhile keep him warm.
The caresheet linked in above post is what you need to help you with diet, temps humidity and substrate etc and if you post some pics of his enclosure and lamps you'll get good advice on making it as safe as possible for your tort.

You'll also find www.thetortoisetable.org.uk useful in finding safe food and for IDing plants

Last edited:

CalebD

Wexford
I'm using Coco husk substrate is that OK for sulcatas?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Post some photos to give the full picture that way you'll get better advice.
Include what you are using for uvb, basking and night heat and what his 4 temps and humidity levels are, they can all affect tort health.
We've all made mistakes but the important thing is to put things right as soon as possible.