Not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

felicia9211

5 Year Member
Hi, my tortoise has not been eating since we came back from the vet. First we took him there for a eye problem that they said was due to getting dust from the substrate,. The vet said to use newspapers for 2 weeks or till the eye is better. They gave us gentamicin sulfate drop to put in both eyes 2 3 times daily. Since we went there on saturday he doesn't eat at all, not active, stays hidden. When it comes to food he go up to it then walk away. We change up his food often so
He not getting the same thing all the time. I just don't know what to do. :(
Sent from my GT-P5113 using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
More than likely, the eye problem is the reason your tortoise has stopped eating...or rather, he got the eye problem because he had stopped eating. Usually seen in box turtles, swollen shut eyes is usually caused by a lack of vitamin A, one of the first things lacking when a turtle stops eating.

I think the baby food soaks would be a good idea for this tortoise. Continue the eye regime specified by the vet, but also soak daily in one of the 'orange' colored baby foods. My sister likes to use strained carrots because it has the highest concentration of vitamin A, but I've always used the strained squash.

Mix a jar of strained 'orange-colored' baby food with warm water and leave the tortoise soaking in the mixture for at least a half hour. Check on him frequently to be sure he doesn't tip over.

Now...while we're addressing making the swollen shut eyes go away, we must also try to discover why this happened in the first place. One of the main reasons a turtle or tortoise stops eating is because he isn't warm enough. At any rate, something is not right with the husbandry. Start from square one and go over everything you do for the tortoise. It might help to re-read a good care sheet:

http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm

Ask yourself all the questions you see us asking...how high is the light from the floor of the habitat? How big is the habitat? What is the substrate? What are you feeding? What kind of light are you using? What are the various temperatures all over the floor of the habitat? Does the tortoise ever get to go outside? Well...you get the picture.

felicia9211

5 Year Member
Thank you for the input I will do that today. He eats mustard greens, kale, collared greens, squash, carrots, cucumber there is more just not remembering them right now. We are using newpaper right now for 2 weeks or so. The eye problem started when we witch the substrate to the woodchips and coconut coil i believe thats what its called.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
What was your substrate previously?

What kind of wood chips are you using now?

Try feeding some dandelions.

Is your substrate too dry?

Do you soak your tort?

felicia9211

5 Year Member
It was walnut shells, I now know that is not good to use. The woodchips I can't remember what kind but got them at petsmart redish color. We do soak 2 3 times a week. I have only been able to give him a few. The eye problem started when we witch to the woodchips and we add the coconut fiber, I believe that what it is called.

felicia9211

5 Year Member
No, she did eat alil so far today.

Status
Not open for further replies.