Not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

York1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have 2 young redfoots.(2.5") They ate fine the first couple days then have refused to eat the last couple days. They look fine and are drinking ok. I have them in a 4'x2' cage. Good humidity plenty of hiding spots. Its about 83 on the warm side 78 on the cool side. I have been feeding dandelion, escarole,collard greens and have tried strawberry/plumb.

How long can they go without eating? Any tips on getting them to eat?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
I think you're keeping them a little cool.

Also, if you are using bright lights, that could be why they are not eating. Red foots are very shy, and dwell naturally on the dark, shady forest floor.

What are you using for heat and light?

York1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Im using a radiant heat panel with a herpstat thermistat. I can rase the heat a little. For light I have a small one on the cool side. Its not bright at all.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Go out and get a package of spring mix. Its baby lettuces, and torts, especially hatchlings, really seem to take to it. The taste is milder...also, try some radicchio. My hatchling Greek loves that. Its purple in color.

Put them right in front of their plate when you put food down. Always put the food in the same spot. When I first got my hatchling, I would put her in front of her food every morning. Now she does it on her own with no prompting.

You do not want babies to go long with out eating. Their little bodies can't take it.

York1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
Go out and get a package of spring mix. Its baby lettuces, and torts, especially hatchlings, really seem to take to it. The taste is milder...also, try some radicchio. My hatchling Greek loves that. Its purple in color.

Put them right in front of their plate when you put food down. Always put the food in the same spot. When I first got my hatchling, I would put her in front of her food every morning. Now she does it on her own with no prompting.

You do not want babies to go long with out eating. Their little bodies can't take it.
Ive tried spring mix. Ill pick up some radicchio this afternoon

M

Maggie Cummings

Are you cutting the lettuces up small? Most keepers don't but I do and I've seen that it is easier for those tiny mouths to eat. I use the Spring Mix for a base, then I add a bunch of other stuff, some I collect from the wild, dandelions are everywhere here so I get a bunch of them. At the grocery I buy some other healthy stuff and add all that. I have my basking platforms at 95 or hotter

That's great advice from Meg; we don't hear from her enough...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I would make the changes Meg suggested, and also observe the tort. Do they just walk away from the food, try to take a bit and have trouble, etc? I would also rule out health problems with a vet visit. With a hatchling I would not let this go more than a couple days with them not eating before a vet visit. You can also do a Vitasol bird vitamin soak or baby food (such as carrots or squash) soak to make sure they are hydrated and get a little bit of nutrients. Better than nothing. It can have something to do with food size and texture, but if they stopped eating after they had been I think more of a health problem, temperature drop, cage furnishings change, or a change in diet you are offering. The Redfoot probably won't want a basking spot though, and 95 is hot for them. I have heard mid 80s is good, with a spot a little cooler. You can try turning the light off and just using the ambient light in the room. See if that makes a difference, even if it isn't bright. Make sure a hide is right next to the food, and the food is in the warmer area.

Welcome to the forum!

York1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
Are you cutting the lettuces up small? Most keepers don't but I do and I've seen that it is easier for those tiny mouths to eat. I use the Spring Mix for a base, then I add a bunch of other stuff, some I collect from the wild, dandelions are everywhere here so I get a bunch of them. At the grocery I buy some other healthy stuff and add all that. I have my basking platforms at 95 or hotter

That's great advice from Meg; we don't hear from her enough...

I cut off the cage light and put them rin in the food dish. They just stared at it for a couple minutes and headed towards the hides. Ill try again tomorrow

lezsolt

5 Year Member
Try to get some live plants from your garden (some dandelions, clovers, etc.) and plant them in the enclosure. I've observed that my redfoot sometimes prefers feeding on live plants to "dead" leaves.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I would keep the food out at all times for right now (replenishing it every so often and placing them in front of it twice a day or similar). Best wishes. From what you describe I think something is off with the environment and not the food itself. See if spending some time in the hides in the warm area makes them want to then venture out the food...don't put away the food.

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
60 miles south of Chicago
I, personally, follow the redfoots caresheet on www.turtletary.com for my little hatchling redfoot.
I also use his enclosure example for those who do not have the ability to have a designated redfoot room.
I also follow his diet which can be found on www.redfoots.com

I bought a red tropical hibiscus plant and a pot from Lowe's, and I put it in the pot and it blooms all the time.
The plant cost, I think, $15, if that.
On days he gets greens, I cut leaves off of the plant and blooms and I feed him those.
On his fruit days, he gets cantaloupe, strawberry, prickly pear cactus, or plum.

I have not bought spring mix for him, though. I'm not saying you cannot do it (heck, I'm new to redfoots, too), and if they aren't eating, it's probably worth a try.

But I would pick up a red tropical hibiscus plant or a rose of sharon hibiscus plant at Lowe's (or wherever). Mine LOVESLOVESLOVES the leaves and blooms.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Most people recommend to either get organic plants (very difficult to find) or let them sit for 6 months or similar to let the pesticides leech out. Just a fyi.

Chewbacca-Are you saying all of the greens portion of your tort's diet is hibiscus? Just want to make sure I didn't misunderstand you.

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
Not ALL of it, but a LOT of it.
Why?

He eats a little collard greens here and there and some curly endive here and there, and some escarole here and there.
But he eats the hibiscus best of all, so he gets more of that.
Also, he gets that a lot because that's what I have on hand most of the time.

In the fall and winter, I might be giving him more of the greens I can find at the grocery store.
OR if I can successfully grow dandelions at home, I'll do that.

I'm sure I'll have to tough love it with him, but I'm positive he won't starve himself.
He likes food too much. hahaha.

York1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ive tried hibiscus. I have 3 of them in the back yard. I also follow the diet at redfoots. These arent my first. Ive got very happy and healthy redfoot living in an identicle setup plus a greek that gets very angry when she isnt fed on time :)

Ive had alot of different reptiles and have never had one be as stubborn as these two little guys

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
York1 said:
Ive tried hibiscus. I have 3 of them in the back yard. I also follow the diet at redfoots. These arent my first. Ive got very happy and healthy redfoot living in an identicle setup plus a greek that gets very angry when she isnt fed on time :)

Ive had alot of different reptiles and have never had one be as stubborn as these two little guys

Ah! Sorry, I didn't know that these weren't your first.:D
Well, then maybe you could try the spring mix. As I said, I'm new to redfoots, Stagger Lee is my first.
He eats hibiscus and dandelion greens the best, but that's what he was fed when he was with his breeder.:D

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Chewbacca: Here are some other ideas to try besides what you listed. I really think spring mix is the best variety for the cost as most have 6 greens on average or whatever. One type of green really isn't a lot, even though redfoots also get fruit and protein. Just my opinion though. Mustard greens, radish greens, turnip greens, green leaf, and kale.

York1: Any update? Hope you have some food eaten soon. Think it's time to call a vet on Monday?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
15$ for a hibiscus plant? wow how big was it, my local nursery usually has the little one gallon ones for about 5$ and I thought that was high, lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Baby tortoises are prey and they know it. So they hide most of the time. Try placing the food station close to their hiding place. And when you feed them, step out of sight as quickly as possible. When they see you looming over them it scares them back into hiding.

Yvonne

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I can't remember reading you trying this: give them a short warm soak and then feed them. Sometimes just spraying their environment just before feeding helps.

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
Chewbacca: Here are some other ideas to try besides what you listed. I really think spring mix is the best variety for the cost as most have 6 greens on average or whatever. One type of green really isn't a lot, even though redfoots also get fruit and protein. Just my opinion though. Mustard greens, radish greens, turnip greens, green leaf, and kale.

York1: Any update? Hope you have some food eaten soon. Think it's time to call a vet on Monday?

He doesn't JUST get hibiscus.
He gets other greens too.
Hibiscus is his staple, though.

It has a ton of calcium, and it also has plant protein which he needs.

What is wrong with letting him eat mainly hibiscus for his greens?
He eats the leaves AND petals.

Status
Not open for further replies.