Not gaining weight but not loosing weight. Normal?

Michael Malone

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, Tx
Secils isn't gaining weight it seems like for the past month or so he's fluxuated between 220 and 230 grams. And he's about 9 months old.

He eats great feed him in morning and again when I get home there is normally a little bit left and I feed him at night. He's eating grasses, cactus, weeds. He eats on his cuddle bone daily also. He's In an enclosed chamber heat at 90 and humidity stays at 99%.

I'm not super concerned cause he eats great poops great and is very active not shy or skittish. Seems to be a happy little guy.

I was just checking to see if anyone else ever had one just plain out for a month or so with no real change? I know that this is the time where they should be growing the most.

Thanks

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How long have you had him? What weight did he start at?

Alaskamike

South Florida
I’ve had older ones go a month or two with very little gain - but not one that small. It does seem unusual. If it continues , have his stool checked for worms.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
For what it’s worth, my experience with sulcatas is they eat, crap, and gain weight. Ask around here. I’ve got some little bit of experience. My only real suggestion at this stage would be to get him all kinds of fat from eating broadleaf weeds from the yard and see if that doesn’t help with stabilizing and increasing his weight. When they are young (less than 2-3 years old) they tend to feed more on those types of foods. Lastly you may need to have a fecal done to rule out internal parasites. That’s a fairly easy, very painless experience for your tortoise.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I would recommend a faecal test - take a fresh poop sample to a vet and they can check for parasites.

Some torts grow steadily and some in spurts. It does vary and where one will eat and grow continuously, some seem to do nothing for ages and then suddenly grow. My children were a bit like that too; one grew steadily and the other grew an inch overnight every six months or so! :rolleyes

What is the diet you offer your tort? How much do you feed? When (what time of day) do you feed? Do you feed every day?

Michael Malone

Dallas, Tx
Feed him Twice a day in the morning and afternoon. Feed him enough to where there is always food left over. I give him Grass weeds cactus and spring mix.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am thinking he is just at a small stage of what appears as non growth. Like was said above, often any youngster can have them. Seems you have had steady growth so far.

If you put his daily food into a measuring cup, about how much is it he actually gets and then eats a day?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Secils isn't gaining weight it seems like for the past month or so he's fluxuated between 220 and 230 grams. And he's about 9 months old.

He eats great feed him in morning and again when I get home there is normally a little bit left and I feed him at night. He's eating grasses, cactus, weeds. He eats on his cuddle bone daily also. He's In an enclosed chamber heat at 90 and humidity stays at 99%.

I'm not super concerned cause he eats great poops great and is very active not shy or skittish. Seems to be a happy little guy.

I was just checking to see if anyone else ever had one just plain out for a month or so with no real change? I know that this is the time where they should be growing the most.

Thanks
Michael:

I would not be overly concerned about a single month of slow growth, but sulcatas at this age - and with feeding schedule, the temp/humidity you state - are quite fast growers. So some ideas for you...

As I recall, you have this tortoise in quite a small enclosure. I do believe exercise is also a key component to ongoing growth and good development.

Many weeds this time of year, if you are harvesting outside now, are not overly nutritious, growing in the cold. I like to use Mazuri as a way to ensure good vitamin/mineral balance in these times. It is also really helpful to have a tortoise liking Mazuri, as it can be a great way to get them oral medication if ever necessary - having a food they eat eagerly as soon as presented.

Also check your light cycles and be sure you are giving your tortoise a good 13-14 hour photoperiod.

Michael Malone

Dallas, Tx
Ok thank u I'm gonna move his bigger enclosure in the house and cover with plastic to see if I can keep the humidity up and then I can get him out of the small enclosure.

I was looking into getting some mazuri can it only be bought online or is there any places that sell it?

His uvb light goes on when I leave for work at 6 am and I turn it off around 10pm is that what you are talking about when you say photoperiod?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Ok thank u I'm gonna move his bigger enclosure in the house and cover with plastic to see if I can keep the humidity up and then I can get him out of the small enclosure.

I was looking into getting some mazuri can it only be bought online or is there any places that sell it?

His uvb light goes on when I leave for work at 6 am and I turn it off around 10pm is that what you are talking about when you say photoperiod?
I buy Mazuri from a feed store. 25 lb bag. More than you need. Smaller quantities would probably have to be from online.

That is a long photoperiod! I like 13-14 hours for a growing tortoise max. But a timer and make it consistent. They do best with a very stable photoperiod. Timers are cheap and well worth it! I even use the smart timers now and can control and check everything from my phone.

Michael Malone

Dallas, Tx
Finally got around to putting a cover I his bigger enclosure I got all my Che's set up doing a test run to see what I can keep the heat and humidity at. Here's a few photos of what I did wooden dowls cost me 3 Bucks and a 2 dollar shower curtain it was cheap and easy to setup.

IMG_0180.jpgIMG_0182.jpgIMG_0186.jpgIMG_0187.jpgIMG_0188.jpg

Bambam1989

East Texas
May I ask if the wood you used for the main enclosure are treated? There is a green tinge to the wood that makes me think it may be.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
May I ask if the wood you used for the main enclosure are treated? There is a green tinge to the wood that makes me think it may be.
What's the reason you asked if the wood is treated? I am curious, is the treatment possibly harmful?

Bambam1989

East Texas
What's the reason you asked if the wood is treated? I am curious, is the treatment possibly harmful?
Treated wood can emit toxic fumes that may cause the tort to become ill inside an enclosed area that does not get heavy ventilation. If he has plastic lining the inside that may help prevent the fumes from escaping into the inside of the enclosure but I am not sure how effective it would be.. Another problem could occur if the tort were able to get to the wood and naw some of it off or be in direct contact with it for large amounts of time. The plastic is working as a physical barrier between the tort and the wood.
The only time I personally would consider using treated wood would be in a large outdoor enclosure where a tort would be less likely to have constant contact with it. I may be considered overly paranoid though..