Not getting any reply from seller

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Hopefully things will be fine and it's not fraud. nowadays it pretty easy to track people down by IP address. I would be surprised if it's really coming from New York.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I'll bet dollars to doughnuts the forum records the originating IP - or at least CAN record it.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
They are supposed to arrive today? Does the tracking number show they have shipped yet?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well thats enough information to kick this guys *** off the forum for me . I hate a lair and a thief! This guys is both! The 30/30 rule isn't working to well is it . Ain't that something!

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I think it must be 30 days OR 30 posts. He's been on here for >30 days.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Here's my so called tracking # - bogus.

That is a bummer. I hope they get caught legally and get what they deserve! When purchasing I always check their history or google search the name website etc. Most of the folks selling on here are trustworthy there is always a bad apple in every bushel sadly. I hope you guys get your money back and find your dream tortoise after all this. Keep us posted.

Chenderson

Lancashire, Blackpool
If he is an experienced scammer, his IP will likely not be traceable for a few different reasons. However it may be worth the site admin blacklisting the IP address if things don't work out. As the extent of internet scammers can be quite crazy, besides the simple option of creating a new account and doing this again under a different alias and region. If he is knowledgeable he may use other peoples accounts to do the same. Sorry for being so grim.

In future it may be worth asking for proof with picture e.g. A written sign with the potential buyers name written on it with the tortoise.

I don't want to nay say, as it may be a genuine hiccup with life issues preventing him from doing so. If he was a scammer, it is rather sadistic to keep logging onto a site to view what people are saying. He may in fact just be logged onto the site via cookie using a mobile device, and not actually viewing. A lot of my family have been the victims of internet related scams, it is very common, and they have never had problems with banks or paypal in getting their money back.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Well thats enough information to kick this guys *** off the forum for me . I hate a lair and a thief! This guys is both! The 30/30 rule isn't working to well is it . Ain't that something!

I can think of numerous examples of reputable sellers going bad and failing to meet their obligations, so there is no way to prevent all occurrences. The forums rule is designed to cut down on someone joining just to post ads.

Anyone buying something online is responsible for their own due diligence prior to sending money. In this instance, be thankful PayPal was used because in my experience PayPal is extremely buyer favorable.

Chenderson

Lancashire, Blackpool
Looking at his profile page, the English used is terrible, he was on yesterday, and he has come on just to post ads, which look suspect. And he has listed his profession as Wildlife research group.

"I love breeding and raising tortoise as well and water turtles."
"I have left (3) leopards tortoise soak daily asking $225 shipped all three overnight delivery."

Looks like a foreign scammer to me. Likely the money will be returned, but I doubt he will be caught or punished.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I can think of numerous examples of reputable sellers going bad and failing to meet their obligations, so there is no way to prevent all occurrences. The forums rule is designed to cut down on someone joining just to post ads.

Anyone buying something online is responsible for their own due diligence prior to sending money. In this instance, be thankful PayPal was used because in my experience PayPal is extremely buyer favorable.
Don't get me wrong . I'm not putting blame on the forum . This guy only had 12 post . Not 30 post yes he has been here since November but hasn't made the post quota . So he shouldn't have been able to post for sale adds here . You guys can't stop a thief or liars . But you guys can change a rule to make it harder to do . Sorry I can't stand it when people rob others .

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
That totally sucks! I hate dishonest people so I hope everything turns out ok. Maybe he's sick and don't have time to respond right now?

Melissa319

5 Year Member
outside of Phoenix, AZ
Oh, we don't need to give him the benefit of the doubt. :) He emailed me as one name and one of the others who's also been scammed as another. Using different email addresses and names, pretty obviously a bad guy.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I sent him a message and he asked for my email address to send me pictures but I haven't heard a thing since and received no pictures.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Don't get me wrong . I'm not putting blame on the forum . This guy only had 12 post . Not 30 post yes he has been here since November but hasn't made the post quota . So he shouldn't have been able to post for sale adds here . You guys can't stop a thief or liars . But you guys can change a rule to make it harder to do . Sorry I can't stand it when people rob others .

It's 30 days or 30 posts.
It has really only come to our attention recently that there was any suspect. A member contacted me askng if I knew anything about him. I didn't really and ask some others. No real reason at that time to really suspect he was doing anything wrong, except he always had lots of different species for sale, but was also responding to a lot of for sale ads, or rehoming ads. Then this thread popped up. I guess he started slipping and now finally got caught. It does seem weird that he would use PayPal, most scammers don't.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...and the reason it's been going on for so long is we have to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. We can't just ban left and right, willy nilly. We have to be sure its a scam before we can act on it. That's why it's so important that you folks who have ordered and sent in your money, keep us in the loop so we can ban him if it comes to that.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
...and the reason it's been going on for so long is we have to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. We can't just ban left and right, willy nilly. We have to be sure its a scam before we can act on it. That's why it's so important that you folks who have ordered and sent in your money, keep us in the loop so we can ban him if it comes to that.

He/she will not respond to anything until the money from PayPal is safely in his account...