Not hungry but restless

My red foot tortoise and I just recently moved into a new apartment. His enclosure is the same, but since we've been here he's been extremely active. Which normally I would be ecstatic about, but he's been trying to escape the enclosure, which normally ends in flipping over. He also won't eat much, turns down the greens every day, and eats eats half a mazuri pellet. The only day he ate a lot was protein day- a dozen super worms and a little ground turkey with calcium. Any idea what's up?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you hadn't referred to the tortoise as he and him, I would say it might be female looking for a better spot to lay eggs.

Maybe the restlessness is due to being in a new territory. Is the new space as big as the old space?

If you hadn't referred to the tortoise as he and him, I would say it might be female looking for a better spot to lay eggs.

Maybe the restlessness is due to being in a new territory. Is the new space as big as the old space?
Well referring to him as a he is just a guess, he's only about 14 months old. So even if he was a she, it's too young to lay eggs. The new apartment has more space than the previous place. Maybe that's why he constantly wants to get out and explore?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The tortoise recognizes that its in a new and unfamiliar place and it wants to go "home".

How large is the enclosure?